Written by Richard Summerfield, April 2010
The story so far…Richard graduated from the University of Leicester in 2007 with a contemporary history degree. Although he currently works in a Birmingham law firm, he has ambitions in media. Or football.
Hello, my name is Richard, and I'm a Group Register Controller.
To be honest with you I'm not entirely sure what that means but I've been one for about a year and a half now. I 'work in law' if anyone asks. It sounds slightly grander than 'I spend 90% of my day mucking about with spreadsheets and the remaining 10% making the tea or moving boxes.'
The next fearsome string to my bow is that I'm about to become a Fire Warden. I shall be getting a luminous jacket and everything. Impressive eh?
I graduated from the University of Leicester in 2007 with a 2:1 in Contemporary History (with politics); and quite frankly no-one ever seems to know what that means either, so it would seem that I am forging a rather ill-defined career path.
Thus far in my professional life I have loitered with very little real intent in rather poorly paid admin positions, however in the sea of mediocrity that is my career you will find small islands of hope.
These poor examples of metaphorical islands are representative of the latest New Plan, in which, my brain gets the notion that I have hit upon a viable new career path, one that will lead me to that most Holy of Grails - a reasonably well paid and respectable job that I absolutely, definitely can do.
The largest of these islands - I am seeing this metaphor out to the bitter end by the way - has rather cruelly convinced me that I could be either a football coach (none of the best coaches had glittering professional careers - it's a sign!) or a radio producer/presenter/reporter/journalist.
To give some context to the radio delusion, I should note that for a year or so I co-presented and produced a radio show for a local community radio station and I currently co-present and produce a weekly sports podcast. I love doing it, I feel like I’m actually contributing something. It's a great outlet for my 'media aspirations' and most of importantly of all, I have a good laugh.
However, recently I have been formulating plans a little nearer to reality. This Group Register isn't going to need controlling forever so it's time I begin the process of finding an appropriate graduate scheme or indeed a proper job.
I also get married in just over a year and as such, my need to be a real person is becoming more and more urgent. Hopefully over the coming months this should make an interesting read. If not, I could always come and move some boxes for you? Or do you want me to have a look at that spreadsheet?
This website is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with CSS enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets if you are able to do so.