Not signed up?


Estate agent: Training

So you think you want to be a

Estate agent?

See how well you suit this job in Career Planner.

Try Career Planner

Training takes place on the job and in-house. It is likely you will have an in-house induction, which may last one or two weeks, giving you an insight into the running of the business and the legislation attached to estate agency work.

Professional qualifications are also available and many employers encourage their staff to take them. The National Federation of Property Professionals (NFoPP) is the awarding body which offers a range of relevant qualifications. These include:

  • Level 3 Technical Award in Sale of Residential Property: an introductory level for those who want to gain and develop knowledge in key areas. It has to be completed within one year and can be done through distance learning. Once passed, you can join the National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) as a full member.
  • Level 4 Certificate in Sale of Residential Property: for experienced estate agents who have completed the Level 3 Award. It is based on self-study and must be completed within 18 months. Once passed, it allows you to get fellow membership with the NAEA.

A Scottish version of the Level 3 qualification is also available as well as other national training courses and qualifications in the areas of:

  • residential letting and property management;
  • commercial property;
  • auctioneering for property and chattels;
  • residential inventory management and practice.

For more information see NFoPP: Qualifications

The NAEA also has a wide range of short courses that run across the UK. The training can include areas such as:

  • conveyancing practice and procedure;
  • dealing with difficult people;
  • effective estate agency;
  • effective leadership;
  • essential law for residential estate agents;
  • first class customer service.

The NAEA encourages continuing professional development (CPD) and a full one-day course equals seven hours of CPD, while a half-day course equals three and a half hours of CPD. For more information see NAEA: Training and Courses

Some jobs in commercial property will require qualification and membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) .

There are 27 jobs available in property and construction

View jobs >

Written by AGCAS editors
January 2014

Search postgraduate courses


Spotlight on...

Sponsored links


This website is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with CSS enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets if you are able to do so.