The Co-operative Group will create 3,000 jobs in the legal sector as it continues to expand the range of services available to UK consumers. 11/06/2012
The Group will establish the jobs at Co-operative Legal Services, creating the largest consumer law business in the country.
In March, The Co-operative became the first major consumer brand to be granted alternative business structure (ABS) status under the new Legal Services Act, allowing it to offer a range of consumer legal services previously only available from private solicitors.
Group chief executive Peter Marks said that over the next five years Co-operative Legal Services would open five additional regional hubs across England and Wales and set up a new family law operation in London, which is on schedule to launch later this year.
‘We already have a first class reputation for delivering professional services,’ he added. ‘We see the law as yet another area where a Co-operative solution can be successfully applied for the customer’s benefit. Over the next five years we want to fundamentally change the face of legal services and make access far easier.’
Around 90% of the roles will be actual legal functions, with the remaining 10% made up of support staff. The announcement is good news for students and graduates as Marks highlighted the need for new talent.
‘We are particularly keen to use our expansion as a way to offer opportunities to young people. Legal apprenticeships and opportunities for study leave will form an important part of this major employment opportunity.’
This website is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with CSS enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets if you are able to do so.