AECOM is one of the world’s largest professional engineering consultancies, bringing a comprehensive portfolio of multidisciplinary engineering skills with our structural engineers frequently providing the leading role in the development of building projects. We are currently engaged in a wide variety of building projects from world class sporting venues through to commercial properties, healthcare and research, hotels and resorts, industrial and manufacturing developments. These projects are located both in the UK and increasingly overseas. Within the Power sector we are at the forefront of the burgeoning energy sector from Nuclear New build, Nuclear Decommissioning, wave and wind energy through to transmission.
Civil & Structural engineers work closely within design teams to ensure that the projects we create together perform sustainably and holistically to meet the brief and budget. Increasingly we work with our other internal business lines such as architecture, environment, transportation and our own project managers to provide a one stop solution to our clients and their projects.
We wish to recruit graduates across our UK offices who can bring passion and flair to our work, have a real interest in improving the built environment and want to now apply their recently gained engineering skills to the real world.
Graduates commencing their careers with the AECOM are engaged into teams and paired with an experienced engineer who will guide and mentor them through the initial stages of their career whilst working on live projects.
Training is provided whilst engaged on specific projects through our formal training scheme that leads to becoming a Chartered Engineer with the Institution of Civil Engineers and Institution of Structural Engineers. Training is delivered ‘on the job’ with the active projects we deliver and through engagement on external and internally delivered training programmes.
Training will develop graduates knowledge of:
- Design methods using a variety of structural materials,
- Practical application of the current design software that allows to us deliver design solutions efficiently and effectively, including pseudo static and finite element analysis.
- The skills necessary to present our engineering solutions – this will include sketching and an understanding of the use of 3D drawing and applications of Building Information Management (BIM).
- Develop a working knowledge of UK, European and American Standards
- Design of nuclear facilities including structures to support the construction of nuclear power stations, laboratories, processing facilities and stores along with their associated infrastructure.
- Nuclear decommissioning design – developing bespoke safe solutions to unique facilities to process, reduce and store the UKs nuclear inventory.
The training will ensure all our engineers have a full set of design skills and are equipped to engage with the wider design and contractor teams. Early work with us will typically involve:
- Assisting in the development of our projects through the different design stages, from concept, preliminary, developed and detailed design.
- Attending meetings and workshops with stakeholders including design professionals and operators
- Develop an understanding of Safety Cases and their application to structural/civil solutions in a regulated environment.
- Participate in Safety and Risk workshops.
- Inspections during the construction phase
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland , from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
- Enthusiasm and drive to become a Chartered Engineer
- Demonstration of the desire to create opportunity or make the most of opportunities to develop academic, engineering or life experiences
- Due to the nature of our client projects, you will need to meet the requirements for baseline security clearance in the UK
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Masters degree (MSc/MEng or equivalent) in civil or structural engineering or similar, accredited by a professional engineering institution such as the Institution of Civil Engineers or the Institution of Structural Engineers
Accepted degree subjects
UK wide, Ireland
Contract and working hours
Permanent · Full-time
How to apply
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 21/09/2017