We are looking for Tunnelling graduates to join our teams specifically in Birmingham & Croydon. Our Tunnelling Group is currently working on several projects within the UK and overseas and is looking to increase the core UK based team. The successful applicant will receive guidance and support from other team members and is expected to maintain and develop knowledge of current professional thinking through available training, individual study and learning. The successful candidate will be required to work within a team of engineers on a variety of tunnelling projects.
Typical work and projects include:
- Thames Tideway Tunnel, London: Major sewerage tunnel & shafts.
- IDRIS Tunnel, Qatar: Major water tunnelled infrastructure.
- Crossrail, London: Specialist sprayed concrete linings to stations and caverns.
- Nuclear Underground Repository, UK: Feasibility study.
- A40 options study, London: Highway tunnel in central London.
- Stockholm Bypass Tunnel, Sweden: The world’s longest underground motorway.
Tunnelling engineering graduates at AECOM will work on a range of projects including:
- Work within a wide range of sectors offering a challenging and varied workload, including: Water transfer tunnels; Highway tunnels; High Speed, Standard & light rail; Mining; Airport infrastructure; Onshore & offshore tunnels; Power tunnels.
- Application of civil, structural and geotechnical knowledge gained throughout your degree.
- Feasibility studies & optioneering, through preliminary and detailed design; in particular the importance of understanding how designs can be constructed safely.
- Tunnel, shaft and cavern designs in hard & soft ground using a variety of construction methods.
- An understanding of how underground structures interact with the surrounding ground and affect the existing environment and structures around them.
- Identifying and resolving complex engineering problems using finite element software backed up by solid empirical methods.
- An understanding of quality assurance and contracts.
- In time you will be required to lead small projects or elements of larger projects and provide support and advice to other members of the team.
- Identifying opportunities to expand the existing business through client managers to build a broad and influential network through effective communication.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
- Willing and able to work towards professional qualifications (ICE).
- Demonstrable interest in tunnelling projects and promoting the tunnelling activities in the transport and utility sectors.
- Capability to satisfy client and business expectations and be able to consider the wider financial and commercial implications of their actions.
- Communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing.
- Structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole.
- Ability to work independently without losing initiative & focus.
Qualifications and experience requirements
- A degree in Civil or Civil & Structural Engineering.
- An MSc/ MEng in Soil Mechanics/Geotechnical/Tunnelling Engineering, or similar, would be an advantage.
- Any existing construction experience achieved through the degree would also prove advantageous.
Accepted degree subjects
UK wide, Ireland
Contract and working hours
Permanent · Full-time
How to apply
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 21/09/2017