Gain stand-out international work experience in China, the world’s second largest economy, whilst immersing yourself in the culture.
You’ll develop transferable skills that will give you a head start in your career including: confidence and communication skills, cultural awareness, a global perspective, independence, initiative, resourcefulness and self-motivation.
Day to day, you’ll be teaching English to locals of all ages (from two year olds to adults) whilst experiencing life in Hangzhou, one of China's most renowned and prosperous cities and home to the e-commerce giant Alibaba.
It is great experience whichever career you choose to follow. Our alumni have gone on to be medics, lawyers, accountants, bankers, teachers, policemen, prison warders and even started their own businesses or charities – the list is endless.
Equally, many of our participants have found the experience invaluable if they haven’t yet chosen a career path. It is an opportunity to step out of your comfort zone and see the world from a different perspective which may help you discover what you want to do in life.
Mandarin Course (optional)
- If you would like to work on your Mandarin, we can arrange for you to do a private course to improve your proficiency. (Note: This is not required for the work experience programme)
We get it, you want to travel. With our programme, you can:
- During your placement: You are free to make the most of the surrounding areas whenever you aren’t working. This may include spending time in Shanghai, which you’ll probably get to on the renowned bullet train.
- After your placement: If you’d like to travel more widely, you can extend your stay to go farther afield. We can help with advice on how to renew your visa as well as travel tips and ideas.
Some of the amazing things you could do during your stay include:
- Hiking and camping on the Great Wall of China
- A bungee jump in Macau
- Panda spotting
Our in-country management team can provide you with tips and ideas to make the most of your time.
Africa & Asia Venture (AV) has been operating since 1993 and is a not-for-profit social enterprise running work experience programmes in Africa and Asia.
- We are looking for young people who are adaptable, committed, resilient and have a sense of humour!
- You must be 18 or over.
Qualifications and experience requirements
No specific qualifications are needed but fluent English skills are essential.
Accepted degree subjects
Hangzhou, Zhejiang province
How to apply
Number of vacancies: 10
Apply in the first instance via the Apply button.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 27/03/2018