Our two-year Graduate Development Programme starts you on a journey to develop your career in a challenging, dynamic and supportive work environment. We’ll give you a real role from day one, so you’ll get invaluable experience and exposure working on varied and exciting projects for a large, diverse and ambitious organisation.
We want graduates who excel in their subject and who’ll bring talent, drive and fresh thinking to help propel our business forward. In return, we’ll provide you with all the support you need to achieve your career goals, because we want you to be successful and grow your career with us.
What will this role involve?
We have opportunities for graduates who have already graduated and are looking to join us at our offices based in Birmingham and Stafford.
For our Birmingham based positions, as a graduate engineer, you’ll be involved in the assessment of historic rail structures, including:
- Rail structure assessments for depots, footbridges, canopies, underbridges, overbridges, undercrofts
- Preparation of technical assessment reports and drawings
- Preparation for and undertaking of site work to carry out inspection for assessments and inspection/examination of assets
- Maintain high technical standards, consistent with the project brief and in accordance with relevant standards and HSEQ documentation
- Support the delivery of services on other contracts
- Exercise independent engineering judgement and provide innovative solutions to engineering problems
The opportunity in Stafford will involve supporting the senior/principal engineer and other team members in undertaking a wide range of project delivery tasks including:
- Implement the project requirements to fully meet the client specification in accordance with relevant standards
- Prepare/check design approaches, calculations, drawings and documents
- Design bunds, foundations, roads and drainage systems etc.
- Design earthworks
- Design portal / traditional industrial buildings
- Reinforcement detailing and schedules
- Prepare/check temporary works design, calculations, drawings and documents
- Interface with site personnel for the construction/installation works and resolving issues
- Undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within the ability and competence
- Carry out site visits, surveys and inspections
- Assist in preparation of feasibility studies, assessments, technical reports and other written documents
- Comply with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including health and safety, environmental and all other appropriate regulations
- Support the preparation of bids and delivery of services on other contracts, when required
- Keep up-to-date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practice within the team environment
We place great value on all our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package as well as supporting all graduates to gain a professional qualification through a professional institution. We’ll give you first class mentoring and guidance, from the industry experts you’ll be working closely with. Over two years, you’ll cover personal development, business skills and business improvement techniques. You’ll also have the chance to meet your peers and senior management from across the UK at the annual graduate conference. We’ll pay you a competitive starting salary, and if you perform well, we’ll give you a pay rise every six months whilst on the graduate programme. At the end of the programme you can expect to progress into the next level of your chosen career.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
We treat people as individuals. We want a range of abilities, from practicality and problem solving to precision and creativity. That goes for diversity too. We want a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve and value the experience that you bring to our business.
We are looking for innovative, forward thinking graduates who will help propel our business forward and become our future leaders. You’ll also have:
- Strong analytical, written, communication and presentation skills
- Desire to develop existing skills and acquire new technical competence to enhance personal and team capabilities
- Self-motivated with the drive to achieve continuous improvement
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Be a proactive and collaborative team member, work closely with colleagues and fit seamlessly into a delivery team
- Driving licence - Full, valid and clean
- Eligible to work and reside in the UK
- Client focused approach to service delivery
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Minimum 2:2 degree in relevant subject (civil/structural discipline to satisfy the current entry requirements for CEng or IEng through ICE or IStructE)
- Graduated and available to join Amey immediately
- Good written and oral communication and organisational skills
- Computer literate and conversant with the MS Office suite
- Proficient with AutoCAD and analysis software
- Commitment to studying towards professional qualification
- Basic project experience gained as a graduate
Accepted degree subjects
civil engineering and construction
Birmingham · Stafford
How to apply
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 13/03/2018