This is a brilliant opportunity to build a creative career designing and delivering exciting work in design engineering.
Our apprenticeships allow you to study for an academic qualification while working and learning alongside respected, technical professionals. As an apprentice, you'll study at a local college on day release, and combine this experience with real responsibilities in the workplace.
A dedicated mentor and our learning and development team will guide you through your personal and professional development.
About the role
Engineers and Technicians at Arup are fundamental in the process of turning somebody's vision for a construction project from a concept, to a design (3D computer models and technical drawings), to a construction site, to a finished article. We are looking for the next generation of talented people to help us 'shape a better world'.
Right now, we're looking for a Building Structures Apprentice Technician to join our growing team in Winchester. You'll be part of a team including engineers and technicians who use digital tools to design, model and draw structures made of steel, concrete, timber and other construction materials. The structures you help to design will form the frames and foundations of all kinds of buildings - from brand new sports facilities, schools and universities, to offices and industrial premises to list a few. You may also be involved in the computer modelling and drawing of external parts of buildings, such as car parks, access roads and drainage systems.
You will join a huge variety of skilled professionals who work closely alongside Architects, Project Managers and Contractors to deliver the end goal of our Clients. Collaboration between many types of Engineering disciplines are needed to bring these projects to life; in helping to develop and coordinate innovative solutions to complicated problems, the type of work you will get involved in will vary greatly; from 3D computer modelling, to calculations, to presenting designs to collaborators…and much more.
At Arup we pride ourselves on providing a vibrant, open and diverse culture which allows our apprentices to thrive; where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards an accredited qualification.
You'll support a variety of different work, including:
- Production of engineering drawings and sketches, including 3D or 2D computer drawings
- Production of Building Information Models (BIM)
- Preparation of simple engineering calculations
- Contributing to solutions for design challenges
- Taking part in design meetings, site visits, presentations and workshops
- Helping with the administration of projects
What will we offer in return?
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a fulfilling career, including:
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- An exciting workload that will make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
If you are keen to build a fulfilling career in the design engineering sector and deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you. You'll need to demonstrate the qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Five or more GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications) at grade C/4 or above, including English and science
- Grade B/5 or above in maths at GCSE
- Enjoy working with numbers
- Interest in using computers for design work, calculations and testing
- The ability to organise your own work and always be on time
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Lots of enthusiasm for this learning and development opportunity
You must be available to commence employment no later than August 2020 in order to be considered for this role.
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 26 January 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 26 January 2020