Have you ever looked up at a striking new building and wondered how it was built? Or how about a bridge, or a road, or a railway?
Do you find that you have a natural aptitude and passion for STEM subjects but have wondered how you could use these in a practical way in a later career?
Do you have interests in using digital technology and want to put those skills into practice in your career?
Do you want to continue to study towards a further qualification but want to take home a wage each month too?
If you answered yes to any of the above, then starting a career as an Engineering Design Apprentice may well be for you. Engineers and Technicians at Arup are fundamental in the process of turning somebody's vision for a construction project from a concept, to a design (3D computer models and technical drawings), to a construction site, to a finished article. We are looking for the next generation of talented people to help us 'shape a better world'.
Collaboration between many types of engineering disciplines are needed to bring these projects to life - mechanical, electrical, structural, civil, rail, bridges and water engineers to name but a few. At Arup we employ a huge variety of skilled professionals to work alongside architects, project managers and contractors to deliver the end goal of our clients.
At Arup we pride ourselves on providing a vibrant, open and diverse culture which allows our apprentices to thrive. In helping to develop innovative solutions to complicated problems, the type of work you will get involved in will vary greatly; from 3D computer modelling, to calculations, to presenting designs to collaborators.. and much more.
The projects you may be involved in could include; sports stadia, roads, airports, ports, railways, historic building refurbishment projects to list a few.
As an apprentice you will study towards a qualification in Engineering with one of our local partner colleges or universities.
We're looking for applicants with the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Five or more GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications) at grade C/4 or above, including English and science
- Grade B/5 or above in maths at GCSE
- Enjoy working with numbers
- Interest in using computers for design work, calculations and testing
- The ability to organise your own work and always be on time
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Lots of enthusiasm for this learning and development opportunity
- People who are engaged with the Arup philosophy and would view this as not just a job
What will we offer in return?
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a fulfilling career, including:
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- An exciting workload that will make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Please indicate in your application form if you have a strong preference for a particular team. However your flexibility is welcomed, so do let us know if you are open to being considered for all opportunities. You must be available to commence employment no later than August 2020 in order to be considered for this role.
Please note that we are unable to offer visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
If you think this opportunity could be for you, we look forward to hearing from you.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 26 January 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 26 January 2020