Right now we're looking for Civil, Buildings Structures, Mechanical, Electrical and Transport Planning Apprentice Technicians to join our teams in Leeds. From your first day you'll join a community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards an accredited qualification. You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Whichever role you pick, you'll support a variety of different work including:
- Production of engineering drawings and sketches, including 3D or 2D computer drawings
- Production of Building Information Models (BIM) (depending on the specifics of the role)
- Preparation of simple engineering calculations
- Contributing to solutions for design challenges
- Taking part in design meetings, site visits, presentations and workshops
- Helping with the administration of projects
Additional information on our roles can be found below:
Building Structures Apprentice:
You'll help a team including engineers and technicians who work with architects to model, draw and assist in designing structures made of steel, concrete, timber and other construction materials. This is design work that really matters. The structures you help to design will form the frames and foundations of all kinds of buildings - from brand new sports stadia, schools and universities, to offices and industrial premises. You could also get involved in the computer modelling and drawing of external parts of buildings, such as car parks and access roads. You will also have the advantage of Building Information Modelling (BIM) technology, which enables us to design buildings collaboratively using computer models. As part of your apprenticeship, you'll study towards a level-three qualification in Civil Engineering with one of our local partner colleges.
Civil Engineering Apprentice:
You'll help a team including engineers and other professionals to assess, design and supervise civil engineering works. You'll work on a wide range of projects - from roads and pavements, to car parks, drainage, and earthworks. Projects and designs will come in all shapes and sizes, and could involve sports stadia, highways, airports, ports, rail schemes, and new buildings. You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients such as Highways England, HS2, Sellafield and many others. As part of your apprenticeship, you'll study towards a Level 3 qualification in Civil Engineering with one of our local partner colleges.
Mechanical and Electrical Apprentice:
You'll work closely with a team of engineers, providing technical support as they carry out design work and project management services for water and energy businesses. The team takes on design, construction, installation, commissioning and asset management of everything from pumping plant, to electrical distribution networks, to wind and hydro-turbines, and more. As part of your apprenticeship, you'll study towards a level-three qualification in Design and Draughting with one of our local partner colleges.
Transport Planning Apprentice:
You'll support transport planners in preparing, assessing and implementing policies, plans and projects. This work will be about managing and improving transport systems and services; designing solutions to help businesses grow, protect the environment and bring communities together. You could play a part in high profile projects - designing planning solutions for everything from high speed rail, to airport expansion, to major sporting events. As part of your apprenticeship, you'll study towards a Level 3 qualification in Transport Planning at the Leeds College of Building.
What are we looking for?
We're looking for dynamic and dedicated individuals to join us as apprentices. If you are keen to build a fulfilling career in the design engineering sector and deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you. You'll need to demonstrate the following skills and qualifications:
- Five or more GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications) at grade C/4 or above, including English and science
- Grade B/5 or above in maths at GCSE
- Enjoy working with numbers
- Interest in using computers for design work, calculations and testing
- The ability to organise your own work and always be on time
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Lots of enthusiasm for this learning and development opportunity
What will we offer in return?
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A rewarding workload that will make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
How to apply
Please indicate in your application form if you have a strong preference for a particular team. However your flexibility is welcomed, so do let us know if you are open to being considered for all opportunities. You must be available to commence employment no later than August 2019 in order to be considered for this role.
Please note that we are unable to offer visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 01/02/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 01/02/2019
Additional job details