Our apprenticeships allow you to study for an academic qualification while working and learning alongside respected, technical professionals. As an apprentice, you'll study at a local college on day release, whilst a dedicated mentor and our learning and development team guide you through your personal and professional development on the job. Whichever role you pick, you'll combine your learning experience with real responsibilities in the workplace.
About the role
Right now, we're looking for Civil Engineering Apprentice Technicians to join our teams in Leeds. From your first day you'll join a community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards an accredited qualification. You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Whichever role you pick, you'll support a variety of different work including:
- Production of engineering drawings and sketches, including 3D or 2D computer drawings
- Production of Building Information Models (BIM) (depending on the specifics of the role)
- Preparation of simple engineering calculations
- Contributing to solutions for design challenges
- Taking part in design meetings, site visits, presentations and workshops
- Helping with the administration of projects
- Learning coding
Additional information on our roles can be found below:
Civil Engineering Apprentice
As a Civil engineering apprentice within Arup's Bridges department you shall work with a team of technicians, engineers and other professionals within the engineering consulting industry who are involved in the assessment, design and supervision of a wide range of civil engineering works.
These typically include roads, bridges, retaining walls, concrete tanks, culverts and structures that are required for delivering civil engineering projects.
The projects can be very varied in size, location and complexity. For example, they may involve highways, airports, ports, rail schemes or the external works associated with major building and site development projects in the UK and abroad.
You shall help us deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients such as Highways England, HS2 and many more. A few project examples that clearly portray the kind of work that you could possibly be involved with are listed below:
HS2 (High Speed Two), A63 Route Improvements, NYPP (North Yorkshire Polyhalite project), TRU (Trans-Pennine Route Upgrade), Humber Bridge (Bearing Replacement & Tolling) and Marieholm Tunnel (Immersed Tunnel in Gothenburg)
Transport Planning Apprentice
You'll support transport planners in preparing, assessing and implementing policies, plans and projects. This work will be about managing and improving transport systems and services; designing solutions to help businesses grow, protect the environment and bring communities together. You could play a part in high profile projects - designing planning solutions for everything from high speed rail, to airport expansion, to major sporting events. As part of your apprenticeship, you'll study towards a Level 3 qualification in Transport Planning at the Leeds College of Building.
What are we looking for?
We're looking for dynamic and dedicated individuals to join us as apprentices. If you are keen to build a fulfilling career in the design engineering sector and deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you. You'll need to demonstrate following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Five or more GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications) at grade C/4 or above, including English and science
- Grade B/5 or above in maths at GCSE
- Enjoy working with numbers
- Interest in using computers for design work, calculations and testing
- The ability to organise your own work and always be on time
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Lots of enthusiasm for this learning and development opportunity
What will we offer in return?
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a fulfilling career, including:
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- An exciting workload that will make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Please indicate in your application form if you have a strong preference for a particular team. However, your flexibility is welcomed, so do let us know if you are open to being considered for all opportunities. You must be available to commence employment no later than August 2020 in order to be considered for this role.
Please note that we are unable to offer visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore, you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 26 January 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 26 January 2020