Are you interested in a career in City Economics?
Right now, we're looking for students to join our City Economics team of bright professionals in our London, Glasgow or Newcastle office for a four-eight week summer placement starting in June or July 2020.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. Working as part of a team, your role will be to advise city-focused clients on a range of strategic, policy, economic and financial issues. Across the public and private sectors, your work will help manage client relationships with public sector agencies, project and property developers, infrastructure operators and other organisations. This will involve primary and secondary research, data analysis, financial modelling, information design and report writing.
Cities are the world's engines for growth and will drive future prosperity; nearly seventy percent of the world's population will be living in them by 2030. Cities are the places which address global issues, provide the innovations of the future and fuel the global economy. Arup is at the forefront of thinking on many of the issues that will shape cities' development. We have developed powerful collaborations with some of the leading thinkers, lobbyists and drivers of city transformation, including:
- City governments and mayors
- Urban transport bodies
- Airports, such as Heathrow, Luton and Gatwick
- Property developers and regeneration companies
As part of Arup's Integrated City Planning practice, the City Economics team provides strategy, policy, economic and financial consulting services to high-profile clients on many of the most important issues that are faced by cities, particularly those pertaining to infrastructure and the built environment, such as housing and transportation. Our projects include appraisals of individual large-scale transport investments, regeneration and economic development strategies, ex-ante policy appraisals and development of infrastructure plans and business cases. We also develop feasibility studies and business plans for major new urban infrastructure, masterplans, visitor attractions, and arts and culture facilities in collaboration with urban planners, landscape architects, urban designers, transport planners and sustainability experts.
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
What we are looking for
We're looking for students with curiosity, personal drive, design flair and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) city economics and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to analyse data and drawings and maps
- Ability to interpret the needs of clients and other stakeholders
- Ability to take a strategic view on complex, multifaceted issues
- Ability to help develop research methods and execute research projects
- Strong numerical skills
- Other skills such as GIS, statistical analysis, and graphic design are beneficial but not required
Working towards a master's or an undergraduate degree in economics, finance, public policy/administration, economic geography/geography, urban studies, business, town planning, urban design or public management with results of 2:1 or higher.
Accepted degree subjects
- business and management studies
- geology and geographical science
- mechanical engineering
- accounting and finance
Additional job details
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019