Right now, we're looking for Economics Apprentices to join our team in London. From your first day, you will join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path. You will learn as you work, following an apprenticeship pathway to a BSc in Economics, taught and awarded by the University of Kent.
A career in economics is highly rewarding. It will teach you about the world around us, especially the cities where more and more people are choosing to live and work. You'll learn a diverse set of skills that will enable you to solve problems and make effective decisions. These skills can be applied in a wide range of roles.
At Arup, you'll help us to advise clients on some of the most important strategic, policy and economic issues facing cities today. Working as part of a team, you will deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients across the public and private sectors, including Government agencies, project and property developers, infrastructure operators and other organisations. You will also play a role in Arup's thought leadership in cities: What drives their growth and success? What influences quality of life for the people that live in them?
As an Apprentice, you will develop your competencies in the following areas:
- Understanding the principles of micro- and macro-economics and how they are used
- Applying statistical analysis to understand trends and probabilities
- Working with economic data on digital platforms and communicating your findings effectively
- Developing your teamwork and collaboration skills, including through working with clients
- Managing project scope, schedule, quality and resources
These skills will be developed through practical on-the-job training, working with experienced economists and other professionals across the business, and classroom-based training. You will be assigned a mentor within your team who you will work and liaise closely with you in your day-to-day work, and you will be provided with an apprentice ‘buddy' from elsewhere in Arup who can provide advice and a friendly ear on your apprenticeship journey.
What we look for
We're looking for committed individuals to join us as apprentices. If you are keen to build a fulfilling career in economics and deliver excellent services for our clients, we'd like to hear from you.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Three A-levels at grade C or above, or relevant Level 3 qualification
- GCSEs in English and maths at Grade C/4 or above
- Enthusiasm for learning and a willingness to achieve a professional qualification
- Good numerical skills when working with numbers, spreadsheets and graphical information
- Ability to work well with other people
- Excellent communication skills within a team and with external clients
- Adaptability to a wide range of situations
- The ability to organise your own work and always be on time
- You don't need any formal training in economics, as this will be provided on the apprenticeship.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- The support you need to develop your career through your academic qualification and future professional accreditation and training
You must be available to commence employment by the end of August 2019 in order to be considered for this role.
Please note that we are unable to offer visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore, you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Arup is an independent company of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. We are owned by our employees and, as such, our people are at the heart of our business. We pride ourselves on ensuring that our people embrace the Arup values when dealing with both our colleagues and our clients.
population will be living in cities by 2030. They are the world's engines for growth and will drive future prosperity: cities are the places that drive the economy, that address global issues, and that provide the innovations of the future. Cities also face many challenges, including providing high quality transportation systems to service economic need, to encourage investment, and to contribute to a high quality of life of citizens. The relationship between transit, housing, spatial planning and agglomeration is also becoming more widely acknowledged, meaning that decision makers increasingly value strategic, integrated advice that takes account of the intertwining of the different systems.
As part of Arup's Integrated City Planning practice, the City Economics team provides strategy, policy, economic and business planning services to high-profile clients on the most critical issues that are faced by cities. Our team has developed powerful collaborations with some of the leading thinkers and lobbyists and is at the forefront of thinking on the issues that will shape cities' development
This is a Level 6 apprenticeship, which means you will work for us whilst studying towards a degree over a period of four years. The qualification offered is a BSc (Hons) in Economics from the University of Kent.
We will pay the cost of your university tuition and give you paid time off work to attend classes. These will take the form of one residential week at the University of Kent at the beginning of each academic year and face-to-face teaching in London throughout the academic year. You will be learning alongside employees from other organisations including the UK Government Economists Service, which will offer unparalleled networking opportunities to help you develop your career.
You will be expected to use your own time to study, including doing assigned reading and coursework submissions. The University of Kent offers an excellent online Virtual Learning Environment with bite-sized content which can be fitted flexibly around work.
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 26 May 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 26 May 2019