Right now we're looking for Graduate Acoustics Consultants to join our team of more than 70 bright professionals across our UK offices. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, closely linked with our colleagues around the globe, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills, as well as supporting and mentoring you as you work towards a professional qualification.
As part of the acoustics team you will provide support to team members to deliver an effective and professional service to our clients. Your project involvement will be extremely diverse and likely to include architectural acoustics; environmental noise and vibration; building services noise and sound systems design. You will be working across a wide variety of markets including performing arts, education, healthcare, commercial, residential, sport, rail, highways and energy.
Due to the nature of our work you will have the opportunity to gain a broad range of experience, including planning and feasibility studies; environmental impact assessments; building and/or infrastructure design; noise modelling; on-site measurements; auralisation (including Arup SoundLab) and sound visualisation; as well as many other activities. You will be engaged on a portfolio of projects, working with various different teams and ranging in scale, duration and design stage, providing you with a diverse working environment.
Typical responsibilities could include:
- Designing calculations and modelling
- Technical report writing
- Producing detailed drawings
- Site surveys and measurement (including on construction sites)
- Attending and participate in project team meetings
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects through our Early Development Scholarship (after a qualifying period)
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking iconic projects through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world. Our people are at the heart of our business and we pride ourselves in embracing the Arup values when dealing with both our colleagues and our clients.
As a global leader in acoustic consulting, Arup's experts make the unseen changes that can transform our daily experience in diverse environments. We design environments acoustically to promote health and wellbeing and minimise the unwanted effects of noise and vibration.
We are responsible for beautiful sound in concert halls around the world; also for controlling vibration in sensitive laboratory environments. We help reduce the impact of noise from airports, railways, highways and stadia, while making sure sound systems are heard with clarity in even the busiest transport hubs. Our international acoustic design team provides services in architectural, building, transport and environmental acoustics.
We help clients achieve their aspirations in acoustics by guiding projects from conception and planning through design, construction, testing and commissioning
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Acoustics sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
You will need the following attributes and skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understand the needs of your clients
- Strong numerical skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and individually
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible and agile to changes in your workload and priorities
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects to the highest quality
- Interest in the health effects of noise
- Experience in GIS and/or coding
- Experience in recording and signal processing
- Commercial acumen
- Demonstrable ability to innovate
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Grade B or above A Levels (or equivalent) in Maths and at least one science subject
- Bachelors or Masters degree (or equivalent) in acoustics, environmental science, engineering or physics with prediction of 2:1 or higher
- Strong results in relevant modules, such as sound, acoustics, waves, vibrations or digital/coding related modules (2:1/60% or higher)
Accepted degree subjects
Glasgow · London · Manchester · Solihull · Winchester
How to apply
Assessments will take place shortly after the closing date.
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Closing date: 14/11/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 14/11/2017