At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking iconic projects through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world. Our people are at the heart of our business and we pride ourselves in embracing the Arup values when dealing with both our colleagues and our clients.
As a global leader in acoustic consulting, Arup's experts make the unseen changes that can transform our daily experience in diverse environments. We design environments acoustically to promote health and wellbeing and minimise the unwanted effects of noise and vibration.
We create beautiful sound in concert halls around the world and control vibration in sensitive laboratory environments. We help reduce the impact of noise from airports, railways, highways and stadia, while making sure sound systems are heard with clarity in even the busiest transport hubs. Our international acoustic design team provides services in architectural, building, transport and environmental acoustics.
We help clients achieve their aspirations in acoustics by guiding projects from conception and planning through design, construction, testing and commissioning.
Are you interested in a career in Acoustics?
Right now, we're looking for Graduate Acoustics Consultants to join our team of more than 80 bright professionals across our UK offices. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, closely linked with our colleagues around the globe, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills, as well as supporting and mentoring you as you work towards a professional qualification.
As part of the acoustics team you will provide support to team members to deliver an effective and professional service to our clients. Your project involvement will be extremely diverse and likely to include architectural acoustics; environmental noise and vibration; building services noise and sound systems design. You will be working across a wide variety of markets including performing arts, education, healthcare, commercial, residential, sport, rail, highways, aviation and energy.
Click here to view a video showcasing the work our acousticians did on Stoller Hall
Due to the nature of our work you will have the opportunity to gain a broad range of experience, including planning and feasibility studies; environmental and health impact assessments; building and/or infrastructure design; noise modelling; on-site measurements; auralisation (including Arup SoundLab) and sound visualisation; as well as many other activities. You will be engaged on a portfolio of projects, working with various different teams and ranging in scale, duration and design stage, providing you with a diverse working environment.
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
What we are looking for
We're looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Acoustics sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you.
Interest and skills in any of the following would also be useful:
- Health effects of noise
- GIS and/or coding
- Sound systems
- Sound recording
- Signal processing
Ideally you will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelors degree (or equivalent) in acoustics, environmental science, applied sciences, mathematics, computer science, engineering or physics. Other subjects will be considered if you can demonstrate a strong interest in working and learning further in a technically demanding environment.
- Modules such as sound, acoustics, waves, vibrations or digital/coding related modules.
- A Level (or equivalent) in maths or a science subject.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
- Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
- Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019