Right now we're looking for a Graduate Consultant to specialise in health assessments and join our team of more than 70 bright professionals across our UK offices. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, closely linked with our colleagues around the globe, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
This role involves working with a team of consultants leading health impact assessment projects for large infrastructure projects in the UK, such as Heathrow airport and High Speed 2 railway. We evaluate the impact of different aspects of schemes on health and wellbeing (such as noise, air pollution, access to green space) and then feed into the design process to design environments to promote health and wellbeing. This role will be situated within acoustic consulting, which offers international expertise and focuses on minimising the unwanted effects of health determinants such as noise and vibration. Within the acoustic consulting team there will also be opportunities to use SoundLab to develop research and knowledge relating to the perception of noise and its effects on health and wellbeing.
You'll help us to deliver innovative health assessment work for large transport and infrastructure projects analysing the health effects of schemes on local communities and communicating these to a wide-audience including local partners and clients. Current projects include the Heathrow expansion project (third runway) and High Speed 2.
While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills, as well as supporting and mentoring you as you work towards a professional qualification.
What you’ll be doing
Due to the nature of our work you will have the opportunity to gain a broad range of experience, including developing knowledge about the methodologies used for health impact assessment; undertaking evidence reviews to inform health impact assessments; as well as undertaking health impact assessment work. There will also be opportunities to develop knowledge more generally about environmental impact assessments and the planning process. You will be engaged on a portfolio of projects, working with various different teams and ranging in scale, duration and design stage, providing you with a diverse working environment.
Typical responsibilities could include:
- Undertaking health assessments across a range of environmental exposures and health outcomes
- Developing health assessment methodologies
- Understanding and interpreting the evidence-base
- Assessing the significance of impacts
- Assessing the appropriateness of mitigation
- You will apply and develop your epidemiological, environmental and health knowledge on a variety of real-life projects, to protect and promote the health and wellbeing of communities.
What do we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- The opportunity to work on some of the world’s greatest projects with technical challenges that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Training and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- Various sports and social activities in all our locations
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking iconic projects through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world. Our people are at the heart of our business and we pride ourselves in embracing the Arup values when dealing with both our colleagues and our clients.
What we are looking for
We're looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Acoustics sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 20/11/2018
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 20/11/2018
Additional job details