At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our resilience, security and risk practice has consistently been at the forefront of the field since it was formed in the mid-1990s. The practice brings together threat specialists, physical and electronic security engineers, operational security specialists and blast engineers in a unique multi-disciplinary environment, helping our clients manage malicious risk, natural hazards and operational reliability in each aspect of their businesses and operations.
Arup has designed some of the world's leading buildings to withstand extreme events, from major accidental hazards and human factor critical to reducing downtime to designing against terrorist attack. The team applies its knowledge to understand what can go wrong, recommend a range of options to address the issues and select and implement the best design solution to satisfy the client's needs. Using these skills we help our clients mitigate risks associated with major hazards, reduce downtime to keep critical systems and networks running and protect building occupants and organisations against terrorist attack.
Are you interested in a career in Blast and Risk?
We're looking for graduate blast and risk engineers to join our team of professionals in London or Manchester. You'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You'll support the wider team in the preparation of quantitative and qualitative risk analysis and will develop protective design options to mitigate the effects of blast, ballistic and forced entry attack. You will work closely with multi-disciplinary design teams of architects, engineers, cost consultants and project managers to integrate our design solutions into the building design and critical system design, and manage the client relationship about the level of system performance they require and support the decision-making process, including the risk they are prepared to accept and the design and cost impact of mitigating these risks.
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
What we are looking for
We're looking for graduate engineers with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. As well as an exemplary standard of technical engineering knowledge, you will have an understanding of the principles of risk-based and multi-disciplinary design
- Excellent English written, verbal and sketch communication skills.
- Interest/experience in risk-based design, fluid dynamics, structural dynamics, post-elastic structural response, data analytics, numerical analysis and quantitative risk assessments.
- Strong understanding of structural behaviour and philosophy of structural design.
- Eligibility for UK Security Clearance. Eligibility requires a background check and usually requires a minimum period of residency in the UK, but is not limited to UK nationals.
Desirable skills and knowledge
- MSc, PhD or other postgraduate qualification in a relevant area e.g. computational structural mechanics, structural dynamics, engineering risk & safety management, risk and reliability engineering, process safety or a related discipline
- Interest in probabilistic or statistical analysis
- Intermediate or higher ability in programming in Visual Basic, C++, Python or other scripting language
- Background in dynamics in the design of structures e.g. for vibration, blast, seismic or impact loading.
- Appreciation of design for unusual or extreme loading conditions.
- Interest in human behaviours and dynamics
- Vacation/site experience
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Masters level engineering degree in engineering science, civil engineering, structural engineering or structural engineering with architecture, mechanical, aerospace, chemical, safety and reliability, on track to achieve a 2:1/60% or higher.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
- Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
- Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019