We are currently recruiting for Graduate Civil Engineers to join our growing Highways teams across the country. You will be encouraged to work towards a professional qualification, to Incorporated or Chartered status, whilst maintaining control and drive of your own career.
You will provide support to team members to deliver an effective and professional service to our clients. Due to the nature of our work you will have the opportunity to gain a broad range of skills, and will be developed over the course of your employment to assist you in gaining further responsibility. Both commercial and technical training is available and encouraged as you gain more experience.
Typical responsibilities could include:
- Alignment designs of highways and junctions
- Network assessment
- Site appraisals
- Project and design management
- Technical drawings
- Technical report writing
- Design calculations
- Data analysis and preparation
- Using CAD and BIM to organise and present work
- Attend and participate in client meetings
- Supporting internal clients such as other sectors within Arup
Projects will be allocated to you on a regular basis for varying lengths of time, which provides a diverse working environment. You will have an opportunity to work on projects all over the world, while learning from our highly experienced team.
In return, we offer the following:
- A competitive salary
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects through our unique Early Development Scholarship
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Due to our global reach and multi-disciplinary approach, we are involved in major highways and site development projects in the UK and worldwide. With long-standing experience in planning, assessment, design and management, we offer our clients a broad spectrum of consulting services.
We pride ourselves on multi-disciplinary collaborative working, an approach which integrates the many technical abilities of our global organisation. Therefore our Highways staff can find themselves working in partnership with our experts in buildings, bridges, tunnels, geotechnics, environmental consulting and transport planning.
The experience and skills of our teams allow us to provide advice at all stages of a project, from first conception through master planning, detailed design and construction.
Current projects are varied, exciting and often high profile. They include the design of major highways, external works for major developments and infrastructure projects across the UK, international projects, and site development projects on brown and greenfield land where our integrated approach can radically influence what is built and where, thus improving the quality of peoples’ lives and of the local environment.
We encourage our Graduate Civil Engineers to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to learn about our sector, and a desire to effectively deliver an excellent service to our clients. As such, we are looking for the following skills and attributes in you:
- Modules in highways or transport are an advantage
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- An understanding of CAD and BIM is an advantage
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understand the needs of your clients
- Strong numerical skills
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Enthusiasm for a career in highways, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Preference for MEng degree in Civil Engineering at 2.1 or above, although BEng degrees at 2.1 or above will also be considered
- Studying, or have studied, an ICE accredited course
- Preference for grade B or above in A-Level maths and/or physics
Accepted degree subjects
Bristol · Cardiff · Glasgow · Leeds · Solihull · Whitehaven
How to apply
Assessment centres will commence soon after. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017