At Arup, we design and deliver iconic projects through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
The global security environment is changing daily and the risk to society from security threats are unfortunately dynamic and unpredictable.
The aviation industry is one in which this is immediately apparent. This evolving threat is but one of many challenges that the industry is facing including unprecedented growth in passenger numbers, customer and shareholder demands; increasing competition and commercial pressures; and technology advancement. Appreciating this complex context Arup is well placed to assist our clients with finding solutions that are aligned to their security as well as business needs; we take a risk-based approach to all of our work and seek to make sure that solutions works for the client be that an airport, airline, regulator or any other entity in the aviation network. We therefore work closely with other disciplines in Arup to find solutions that meet the security objectives and are sustainable in their implementation.
Our clients currently include airports, airlines and government agencies. Projects to date have included conducting threat vulnerability and risk assessments; working with design disciplines including architects in order to design out vulnerabilities; using user-based design to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of passenger screening checkpoints; developing security policies, strategies and procedures; conducting compliance audits; delivering training; advising on and finding efficiencies in security operations and capacity building.
About the role
Right now, we're looking for a Graduate Consultant to join our team of bright professionals in our London Office. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
The successful candidate will be involved with tasks relating to some, or all of the following:
- Conducting vulnerability and risk assessments including on site at airports
- Assisting in developing security strategies that are used to inform design and/or security operations
- Joining multidisciplinary teams in order to advise on client security and business needs
- Contributing to and review infrastructure designs
- Understanding regulations and standards and interpret those for projects
- Liaising with security agencies including CPNI and Police
- Assisting in the design and facilitation of workshops
- Contributing to Arup's thought leadership by way of writing white papers and delivering presentation
- Representing Arup at public events such as conferences
You will provide support to team members to deliver an effective and professional service to our clients. Due to the multi-disciplinary nature of our design teams, you will have the opportunity to work alongside experts in the following fields: airport planners (terminal and airfield), architects, operations and digital consultants, electrical, environmental and structural engineers and many others.
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
What we are looking for
We're looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow.
You'll be able to demonstrate excellent communication and presentation skills with a wide range of people and a pro-active approach, with high level of initiative, drive and integrity.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Enthusiasm for a career in aviation security
- Knowledgeable of the current threat and risk environment
- Experience in reading and interpreting legislation and standards
- Strong commitment to deliver robust and high-quality work
- Ability to demonstrate cultural awareness and sensitivity in practice
- Ability to plan own work and to consistently meet deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and also collaboratively with others
- Analytical and creative thought process
- Experience of working with ecurity by design and crime prevention through environmental design (CPTED)
- Experience with threat, vulnerability and risk assessments and protective security
- Ability to read and interpret architectural drawings
- Member status of industry associations (e.g. Security Institute)
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Degree level qualification in security or risk management or a closely related subject
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
- Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
- Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019