We are advertising five different roles within the digital consultancy group. We recommend that you review all five roles to ensure you apply for the one you are best suited to and that you understand the breadth of the work we undertake. In addition to this opening, we are also looking for the following:
- Graduate Digital Consultant – Data Scientist
- Graduate Digital Consultant – Graphic Web/UX Designer
- Graduate Digital Consultant – Technology and Strategy
- Graduate GIS Specialist
What are we looking for?
We have an opportunity for a graduate telecoms designer to work on the design and specification of technology systems and services on transport sector projects. This role will be based within our Advanced Digital Engineering transport sub-team and will be primarily focussed on the rail sector, although there will be the opportunity to work in other sectors as the need arises.
This role will include the design and specification of the following types of systems along with technology appraisal, site surveys and overseeing the installation and bringing into service of systems.
- Railway operational telecom systems (operational telephony, copper, fibre, FTN, FTNx, GSM-R and associated transmission systems)
- Station Information and Surveillance Systems (SISS) including CCTV, PA/VA, customer information systems, passenger help points
- DOO (Driver Only Operation)
- SCADA systems
- Station management systems
- Control room technology
- Airport operational systems
- IT communications infrastructure including IT routes, rooms, risers, copper and fibre optic cabling
- Local area networks, wireless LANs, telephony, unified communications
- Radio and cellular distributed antenna systems
As part of the Arup Advanced Digital Engineering team you will be involved in a range of projects from minor renovations and refits through to extensive major new builds. Your time may be spent on a single large project, such as electrification schemes, re-signalling schemes or new station builds, or multiple smaller developments. Projects will be delivered to all vertical markets where Arup Digital operates including government, retail, transport, sport and commercial development, as our primary areas of focus. You will provide telecoms advice and design content to external clients, other Arup disciplines and Rail design team colleagues typically for The Guide to Railway Investment Projects (GRIP) Stages two – eight and RIBA stages two through to six.
Current schemes include the following:
- High Speed 2
- Crossrail 2
- Brent Cross Sidings
- Meridian Water New Station
- Luton Airport Mass Passenger Transit
- Bedford Cauldwell Depot
- Sydney Metro
You will manage your own administrative time and development tasks to include Career Development, Personal Development Plans and Training. A mentor will be available to assist with this and your chartership application to the IET.
Your work will be of a high standard driven by a desire to deliver outstanding and innovative technical designs and advice to our clients. You will be prepared to collaborate with others and to actively engage in each project and overall development of the Arup Advanced Digital Engineering group.
In return, we offer the following:
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference to the world.
Arup Digital combines innovative digital solutions and processes with our domain expertise across the built environment. We provide digital advisory services that focus on working with clients on their digital strategy, design of new services, systems and assets, and helping deliver working solutions along with the development of new analysis tools and other cloud enabled digital services for clients.
Our technology consultants combine leading technical domain and market expertise to offer world-class advisory services and solutions for our clients. Our work extends over a broad range of sectors, ranging from smaller projects to integrated market-led digital solutions that enable us to manage large-scale programmes. We work with our clients to translate how digital technologies can transform their approach by developing strategies, providing valuable insight, designing fit-for-purpose ICT systems and system architectures through to powering enhanced operations.
Our independence allows us to look for the appropriate technology solution based upon our clients’ needs. The global experience we have benefits our clients through cross market and cross country lessons learnt and detailed knowledge of the most challenging problems our clients face. We believe that when harnessed correctly, technology has the power to create smarter approaches to shape a better world.
You should be an innovative problem solver, someone who thinks ‘outside the box’ and who is able to communicate ideas and solutions. You should have a positive and forward-thinking approach and enjoy working as part of a friendly and supportive team. Projects will be diverse and the ability to multi-task and manage your workload is important. You should be keen to learn and develop your skills as you gain experience in new areas of work.
Arup offers its employees opportunities to become involved in activities and areas of work beyond the scope of any job description. You should be a well-rounded person in terms of interests and ambitions as we look forward to you getting involved and becoming fully integrated into the Arup community.
Qualifications and experience requirements
- A degree in a relevant subject such as railway engineering, railway systems engineering or electrical and electronic engineering, telecommunications, or systems engineering with a demonstrable interest in rail is required
- Strong results in relevant modules (2:1 or higher)
- Accreditation from a relevant professional institution (IET or similar) is desirable
- Qualifications in data networking such as Cisco or other network manufacturer accreditation is also desirable
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong numerical skills
- Self-motivated inquisitive learner
- Technical skill / solution motivated career path
- CAD, BIM, Revit skills (desirable)
- Project management training (desirable)
Accepted degree subjects
transport engineering · computer sciences and IT
London · Manchester
How to apply
Assessment centres will commence in December 2017. Our week-long graduate welcome event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Closing date: 14/11/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 14/11/2017