Arup's Advanced Digital Engineering group comprises over 300 advanced engineering, digital and project consultants, bringing together a seamless combination of digital and data-related capabilities with Arup's traditional engineering and design strengths. We use this to solve our clients most complex challenges and help them respond effectively to the fast-changing digital world. We combine advanced digital expertise in data, models, analytics, and user centred design, with world-class specialist engineering skills such as advanced dynamics, vibration and wind engineering, as well as digital advisory services, mobility consulting and digital product design and delivery.
We support Arup's longstanding commitment to work on the most interesting and innovative projects by using the right modelling, data, technology and automation capabilities to redefine the built environment with our clients. We provide digital advisory services that focus on working with clients on their digital strategy, design of new services, systems and assets, and helping deliver working solutions along with the development of new analysis tools and other cloud enabled digital services for clients.
About the role
We have an opportunity for a graduate telecoms designer to work on the design and specification of technology systems and services on transport sector projects. This role will be based within our Advanced Digital Engineering transport sub-team and will be primarily focussed on the rail sector, although there will be the opportunity to work in other sectors as the need arises.
This role will include the design and specification of the following types of systems along with technology appraisal, site surveys and overseeing the installation and bringing into service of systems:
- Railway Operational Telecom Systems (Operational Telephony, Copper, Fibre, FTN, FTNx, GSM-R and associated transmission systems)
- Station Information and Surveillance Systems (SISS) including CCTV, PA/VA, Customer information systems, Passenger help points
- DOO (Driver Only Operation)
- SCADA systems
- Station management systems
- Control room technology
- Airport operational systems
- IT communications infrastructure including IT routes, rooms, risers, copper and fibre optic cabling
- Local area networks, wireless LANs, telephony, unified communications
- Radio and cellular distributed antenna systems
Arup offers extensive opportunities for your personal and career development and:
- A competitive salary and settling in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Opportunities to work abroad
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Mentorship and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
What we are looking for
As part of the Arup Advanced Digital Engineering team you will be involved in a range of projects from minor renovations and refits through to extensive major new builds. Your time may be spent on a single large project, such as electrification schemes, re-signalling schemes or new station builds, or multiple smaller developments. Projects will be delivered to all vertical markets where Arup Digital operates including government, retail, transport, sport and commercial development, as our primary areas of focus. You will provide telecoms advice and design content to external clients, other Arup disciplines and Rail design team colleagues typically for The Guide to Railway Investment Projects (GRIP) Stages two - eight and RIBA stages two through to six.
Current schemes include High Speed 2, Crossrail 2, Brent Cross Sidings, Meridian Water New Station, Luton Airport Mass Passenger Transit, Bedford Cauldwell Depot and Sydney Metro.
You will manage your own administrative time and development tasks to include Career Development, Personal Development Plans and Training. A mentor will be available to assist with this and your chartership application to the IET.
You should be an innovative problem solver, someone who thinks ‘outside the box' and who is able to communicate ideas and solutions. You should have a positive and forward-thinking approach and enjoy working as part of a friendly and supportive team. Projects will be diverse and the ability to multi-task and manage your workload is important. You should be keen to learn and develop your skills as you gain experience in new areas of work.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Interest in the rail industry
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Accreditation from a relevant professional institution such as IET
- Qualifications in data networking such as Cisco or other network manufacturer accreditation
- CAD, BIM, Revit skills
- Project Management Training
Batchelors or masters degree qualification at grade 2:1 or above in subject such as, railway engineering, railway systems engineering or electrical and electronic engineering, telecommunications, or systems engineering
Accepted degree subjects
- transport engineering
- computer sciences and IT
- electronic and electrical engineering
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates, we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are able to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 13 December 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 13 December 2019