Right now we’re looking for Graduate Engineers to join our team of bright professionals our Glasgow, London and Manchester offices. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of building performance practitioners and a global Arup network of experts with similar interests; where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You will have the opportunity to become involved in other areas of our work and be interested in developing associated control system design, levering new and emerging technologies, occupational science, mechanical and/or electrical engineering skills.
Your role will be to undertake both design and evaluation/analysis work with the building performance and building engineering design teams. You will interact with external clients, design engineers, building operators and facilities management staff on projects in diverse sectors including property, energy, industry and transport.
You will gain a thorough understanding of the role of an engineer, become experienced with sophisticated software tools and visit sites while working towards becoming a chartered engineer.
- Conduct building performance evaluation
- Use a variety of analysis tools and techniques
- Carry out design and field research
- Site visits
- Writing reports and preparing presentations
- Attend meetings with clients
The candidate will follow Arup’s engineering institution accredited graduate training scheme.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
At Arup, we design and deliver ground breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Understanding building performance is increasingly important to our clients. We apply our expertise to help our clients reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions from their buildings, while improving the comfort and wellbeing of the building occupants leading to reduced costs and improved productivity.
We are unique in the market as a multi-disciplinary team who evaluate, optimise and improve the operational performance of all building types. This requires our engineers to develop a broad understanding of the factors that influence and impact building performance, including everything from building management and control systems, data analytics, mechanical and electrical systems, commissioning and occupational science, including post occupancy evaluation. Increasingly we are also asked to measure and control parameters to improve health and wellbeing.
Our work means that we get involved in a wide range of projects in many sectors including the Queensferry Crossing, The Crick Institute, the Victoria and Albert Museum and The Shard.
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the industry and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
- A strong interest in the built environment, and the application of first principles engineering techniques to inform design process and optimise/improve in-use operation of buildings.
- An awareness of, and interest in, digital technology and the Internet of Things (IoT) in the built environment.
- A related post-graduate qualification (i.e. in human factors, ergonomics), would be advantageous.
Qualifications and experience requirements
Masters level degree in engineering science, mechanical, electrical or building services engineering, mechatronics or computer science with a prediction of 2:1/60% or higher.
Accepted degree subjects
mechanical engineering · computer sciences and IT · electronic and electrical engineering · civil engineering and construction
Glasgow · London · Manchester
How to apply
Assessment centres will commence in December 2017. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer tier two visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017