Right now we’re looking a Graduate Engineers to join our team of bright professionals in London. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Typical responsibilities could include:
- Developing technical assurance plans
- Requirements and interface management
- Systems definition and systems architecture
- Verification and validation
- Rail and other guided transport system concept and feasibility design development
- Technical report writing
- Systems safety, PRAM, EMC studies
- Client and stakeholder engagement activity
- Attend and participate in client meetings
- Supporting internal clients such as other sectors within Arup
- Promoting the work of Arup through conference papers and presentations
You will gain a thorough understanding of the role whilst working towards the goal of a professional qualification.
As part of the Arup Infrastructure Systems team you will be involved in a range of projects from automatic people movers, through light rail, metros and heavy rail to high speed rail projects. This will vary from modifications to existing systems through extensions to new systems. Your time may be spent on a single large project, or working across a number of smaller projects. In addition to working on UK based projects we support projects in other countries such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia and Canada.
You will manage your own administrative time and development tasks to include career development, personal development plans and training. A mentor will be available to assist with this and your chartership application to the appropriate profession institute.
Your work will be of a high standard driven by a desire to deliver outstanding and innovative technical designs and advice to our clients. You will be prepared to collaborate with others and to actively engage in each project and overall development of the Arup Infrastructure Systems group.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- Opportunities to work on international projects
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we may be able to offer some flexibility on start dates, we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
At Arup, we design and deliver groundbreaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our infrastructure systems experts combine rail systems and operational knowledge with systems engineering expertise to develop fully integrated railway scheme designs which meet the needs of government, rail operators, the travelling public and others impacted by the railway. These designs may be for a new railway (or other guided transport system), for an extension to an existing system, or an enhancement by the introduction of a new technology.
At the beginning of projects, our specialists work with project sponsors and stakeholders to clearly define the needs to be met by their project and, through feasibility studies and specification of project requirements, make sure this can become a reality. We also help clients to set up project governance, system safety and technical assurance processes that ensure that project risks are reduced through a progressive assurance process that flags issues and enables project changes to be managed.
We support projects throughout the project lifecycle in integration, interface management, requirements management and verification and validation. We also provide specialist systems engineering services such as systems safety, Performance, Reliability, Availability and Maintainability (PRAM) and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC).
Our services are provided through the whole project lifecycle of:
- Concept and feasibility
- Design and manufacturing / installation
- Testing and commissioning
- Operation and maintenance, through to renewal
Our approach to Systems Engineering is based on tailoring best practice systems engineering techniques to the needs of the rail industry which is heavily regulated and combines assets with a long design life such as tunnels, bridge, civil, track and power infrastructure with more rapidly evolving systems such as signalling, train control and passenger information. Traditionally, the Waterfall Approach to Systems Engineering is employed on rail projects. However, where we are supporting clients developing and implementing products for the Digital Railway agile development methods may be used.
Our team has particular expertise in the specification and implementation of European Train Control System (ETCS) level 2 technology which is one of the technologies at the centre of the UK Digital Railway transformation.
Current projects include the following:
- High Speed 2
- Crossrail 2
- Meridian Water New Station
- Luton Airport Mass Passenger Transit
We are looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Rail and other guided transport systems sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understand the needs of your clients
- Strong numerical skills
- Experience with model based systems engineering tools - desirable
- Experience with requirements management tools - desirable
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Enthusiasm for a career in Systems Engineering with Rail, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject such as railway engineering, railway systems engineering, electrical or electronic engineering, telecommunications or systems engineering (with a demonstrable interest in rail) with a prediction or attainment of 2:1 or higher
- 2:1/60% or higher in relevant modules desirable e.g. signalling, control systems, systems engineering
- Accreditation with a relevant professional institution ( IET, INCOSE or similar) is desirable
Accepted degree subjects
electronic and electrical engineering
How to apply
Closing date: 06/05/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 06/05/2018