Right now we’re looking for Engineering Geologists to join our national team of bright professionals. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
The Graduate Engineering Geologist will be working within the Geotechnics team in a multi-disciplinary office, preparing ground models and contributing to the geotechnical design process. They will also provide general engineering geological skills for external clients on projects across a wide range of markets. The role will include site work within the UK and overseas.
They will gain a thorough understanding of the role of an engineering geologist, providing specialist ground engineering advice to the design process and using the latest modelling and analytical software. Site roles range from supervision of ground investigation and construction to overseas mapping and reconnaissance visits. The graduate will be working towards the goal of becoming a Chartered Geologist.
We are particularly interested in candidates with an interest and aptitude in site investigation and remote sensing and GIS skills.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects through our Early Development Scholarship (after a qualifying period)
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
At Arup, we design and deliver ground breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
As an acknowledged leader in applied geology and geotechnics, Arup is often asked to push the essential skill and science of designing and building in the ground. Wherever difficult ground conditions, sensitive environments or ambitious projects present geotechnical or geological challenges, Arup provides robust and advanced solutions.
Our global engineering geology expertise underpins Arup’s geotechnical work on projects from building design to infrastructure for water, energy, mining, rail, highways, aviation, dams, reservoirs and underground spaces. Clients, contractors and insurers also turn to Arup for expert engineering geology expert advice when things do not go according to plan.
Arup supports its engineering geologists to innovate by investing in research and rigorous ongoing training and development. We continuously take on ambitious projects to stay at the forefront of our field. We have a strong global network of geologists which allows collaboration on research and projects.
What we look for
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Engineering Geology sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following attributes and skills:
- Collection, assimilation and presentation of data
- Demonstrate attention to detail and be accurate in your work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An appreciation of how geology relates to civil engineering and the design of e.g. structures, highways and rail
- An interest and aptitude in site investigation and remote sensing and GIS skills
- • Ability to appreciate and understand the needs of your clients
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Enthusiasm for a career in geology, geotechnics, mining and tunnelling, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- Have an analytical thought process
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Engineering geology, hydrogeology or geology degree (Bachelors or Masters)
- A Levels (or equivalent) in maths or hysics (B grade or higher)
Accepted degree subjects
Leeds · London · Newcastle upon Tyne
How to apply
Assessment centres will commence in December 2017. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: 14/11/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 14/11/2017