We are currently recruiting for Graduate Environmental Services Engineers to join our growing teams. You will be encouraged to work towards a professional qualification, whilst maintaining control and drive of your own career.
You will be working in a multi-disciplinary office with structural, mechanical and electrical engineers and specialists such as fire and acoustic engineers, preparing designs in co-ordination with their team as well as external architects, surveyors, contractors and clients for projects across a wide range of markets. Arup also helps shape the debate on environmental services (public health) engineering in professional and regulatory forums. Where we see strong potential for positive change, we assist clients in research and product development and also pursue in-house research and development.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Determining water use strategies for making best use of potable and non-potable water sources
- Design and calculations for drainage, gas and fire systems, and domestic hot water including solar hot water systems
- Developing strategies for the reduction of instantaneous surface water discharges through the use of attenuation, green/brown/blue roof provision and potential for surface water harvesting/re-use
- Designing rainwater and waste water management systems, including rainwater harvesting and reuse
- Preparing schedules for equipment specifications
- Producing design models and drawings using Revit and other 3D modelling software
- Writing technical reports
- Visiting sites
- Attending and participating in stakeholder meetings
You will gain a thorough understanding of the role of a design engineer, using relevant software design programmes and visiting sites to see the work undertaken while at the same time working towards the goal of becoming a chartered engineer.
In return, we offer the following:
- The opportunity to work on some of the world’s greatest projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- A competitive salary and settling-in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- Support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Well-designed water supply and waste drainage systems are essential to successful, healthy and sustainable buildings. Arup’s environmental services engineers (also known as public health engineers) tackle diverse challenges Additionally, on some projects, our public health engineers also carry out civil engineering tasks such as below ground drainage design, flood risk assessments and specialist road and pavement designs along with associated earthworks required for new and existing building construction. The design of sustainable water management systems helps save water and the energy associated with its use, from pumping to heating. From sustainable drainage systems (SuDS) to water reuse, our expertise helps clients to make better use of water and energy, and to make their buildings and sites more resilient.
Together with Arup’s mechanical and electrical engineers, we provide an integrated building services offering. We also collaborate with water engineers to ensure that plumbing and infrastructure work together, in sympathy with the complete water cycle. Our environmental services team offers our clients a broad spectrum of expertise and consulting services in a wide range of developments, such as:
- Commercial and residential developments
- Universities, colleges and schools
- Hospitals and healthcare buildings
- Laboratories and research facilities
- Transport projects, including airports and rail stations
- Sports facilities and stadia
- Theatres and performance venues
- Museums and art galleries
- Large-scale industrial and manufacturing facilities
- Data centres
We encourage our Graduate Environmental Services Engineers to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to learn about our sector, and a desire to effectively meet our clients’ goals.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentation skills
- Understand the needs of and team members
- Strong analytical skills
- Team working and collaboration
- Understanding of CAD/Revit is an advantage
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Enthusiasm for a career in Environmental Services engineering, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Demonstrate a creative and inquisitive approach to problem solving
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Civil, environmental, architectural, mechanical, building services, water, chemical or process engineering, or chemistry, maths, physics or hydrology degree with a prediction of 2:1 or higher (or equivalent)
- A Master’s degree is preferable but candidates with a strong BEng or BSc will be considered
Accepted degree subjects
physics · architecture · mathematics · chemical engineering · mechanical engineering · chemistry · civil engineering and construction · environmental science and ecology
London · Manchester · Sheffield · Solihull
How to apply
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer tier two visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017