Right now we're looking for Graduate Fire Engineers to join our team of bright professionals across several of our UK offices. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you will have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills. Your role will be to develop expertise as a fire engineering consultant and deal with all aspects of fire safety engineering. This will cover preparing fire strategies in co-ordination with the engineering design team to the auditing of fire safety management and protection measures in existing buildings/facilities.
You will liaise with external designers and other construction and building professionals on a wide range of projects. You will gain a thorough understanding of the role of a fire engineering consultant; experience the use of software design programmes and visit sites to monitor the implementation of fire strategies. You will be mentored with the aim of attaining the goal of becoming a chartered engineer.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You will receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking iconic buildings, infrastructure design, and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Fire engineering is a fundamental component of multidisciplinary design in the built environment. At Arup Fire, we aim to be at the forefront and leading edge of our industry. Arup specialists work closely with clients to help them define their goals and objectives. Our innovative solutions go beyond compliance to include social, economic and environmental goals, as well as protection of people, assets, reputation and operation. Through our work, we believe we shape a safer world.
Our offered services are based on engineering fundamentals, founded through research and development. Our strong links with academia ensure we stay at the cutting edge of fire safety design. This allows us to innovate through extensive knowledge of fire dynamics, human behaviour, structural behaviour and risk, each essential to fire safety design in the built environment.
Fire engineering does not stop once the design is complete. Arup has a long track record of providing practical advice during tender, construction, commissioning and handover to maintain the quality and integrity of the fire strategy into the operational stage of the building. We believe this ‘Total Fire Engineering’ approach is essential to the success of all projects.
Our work involves providing fire safety advice in a number of sectors, such as: residential, rail, tunnels, education, industrial and commercial. Graduate fire engineers are immediately integrated into design teams and start contributing to the delivery of projects from day one. Examples of projects that graduate fire engineers have worked on in recent years include the Shard, Crossrail, Birmingham New Street station, the Tate Modern and Copenhagen arena.
Our 180-plus fire engineers are based in around 30 locations worldwide. Drawing on our global presence, we share knowledge, information and best practice across sectors and geographies, ensuring we deliver efficient, cost-effective results to our clients anywhere in the world.
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Fire Engineering sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
- Excellent written English, and be able to provide evidence/example of own work, if requested
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Understanding of different perspectives of different disciplines / stakeholders
- Strong numerical skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Desirable skills:
- Be inspired to learn and try new experiences
- Be motivated to become professionally qualified as a chartered fire engineer
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Demonstrate effective collaboration as part of a team, in addition to the aptitude to work on your own initiative, be inquisitive and proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
- We would be interested to hear of any community engagement/charity/voluntary work undertaken
Qualifications and experience requirements
Masters or Bachelor degree in a relevant subject necessary to obtain engineering chartership. For example - fire engineering, civil engineering, structural engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, architectural engineering or other relevant degrees. Preferably a Mmsters in fire engineering with a prediction of a 2:1 or higher or equivalent.
We will consider architectural degrees with relevant fire safety modules. However, the focus of the role will be in the engineering discipline as opposed to pure design.
- Strong results in relevant modules (preferably 2:1 or higher)
- Additional qualifications such as a PhD in fire safety related topics are a distinct advantage
- Experience with VBA or other programming languages
- Experience reviewing drawings of buildings in 2D and 3D
- Experience using sketching tools such as SketchUp
- Experience with Autodesk software such as Revit, Navisworks or AutoCAD
Accepted degree subjects
architecture · chemical engineering · mechanical engineering · electronic and electrical engineering · civil engineering and construction
Bristol · Cardiff · Edinburgh · Glasgow · Leeds · Liverpool · London · Manchester · Sheffield · Solihull
How to apply
Assessment centres will be held in our Sheffield office on 5 and 6 February 2018. We would encourage early applications as invitations to our assessment centres will be sent out from November onwards.
Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017