Right now we are looking for Graduate Engineers to join our team of bright professionals in our Solihull and London offices. From your first day, you will join an unrivalled community of experts, where you will be supported in your career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You will have a thorough understanding of mechanical engineering, fluid dynamics and heat transfer, and be interested in diverse applications of these skills. You will have the opportunity to become involved in other areas of our work and be open to developing associated materials science, mechanical, structural or electrical engineering skills.
Your role will be to undertake analysis and design in collaboration with the engineering design teams. You will use analytical and numerical methods such as CFD and dynamic thermal modelling as well as wind tunnel and other forms of testing to inform the design process. You will also interact with external architects, clients and design engineers on projects in diverse sectors including buildings, energy, industry and transport.
You will gain a thorough understanding of the role of an engineer, become experienced with sophisticated software tools and visit sites while working towards becoming a chartered engineer.
- To provide technical solutions and guidance to internal and external clients through the application of first principles, analysis and numerical methods
- Carry out design and field research
- Site visits
- Writing reports and preparing presentations
- Attending meetings with clients
The candidate will follow Arup’s engineering institution accredited graduate training scheme.
What we offer|
You will receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects through our Early Development Scholarship
- An interesting and varied workload where you will make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
At Arup, we deliver ground-breaking designs through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we are a global firm of engineers, designers, planners, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
First principles understanding, research and advanced analysis are central to our work – we bring to bear the sharpest insight to solve intractable problems.
We integrate numerical simulation into the design process to improve performance and economy in diverse contexts including building physics, microclimate modelling, pollutant dispersal, mechanism design and industrial processes.
From the cooling of large stadia bowls to the design of wind and wave power devices or offshore structures, we use our fundamental understanding of fluid dynamics, heat transfer and mechanical engineering to push forward international design practice.
We are looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the industry and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
Qualifications and experience requirements
- A strong interest in the built environment, and the application of first principles engineering techniques to inform the design process. Specific interest (and preferably previous experience) in fluid dynamics
- This might include a related post-graduate qualification, but candidates with appropriate interests and experience with a masters-level degree in engineering science, mechanical, civil, structural, aerospace or aeronautical engineering will be considered. (2:1/60% or higher)
- Strong A-levels (or equivalent) in relevant subjects (For UK A-levels we would expect at least A-grade in maths and physics and no less than B-grades in other subjects)
- Interest/experience with numerical analysis or simulation
Accepted degree subjects
aerospace engineering · mechanical engineering · civil engineering and construction
London · Solihull
How to apply
We are recruiting into our Solihull and London offices.
Our first round of assessment centres will take place on the 19 and 20 December 2017 so we would advise you to apply early. We will hold secondary assessment centres as required. Our week-long graduate welcome Eeent will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017