Right now we’re looking for a Graduate Geoenvironmental Specialist to join the Arup North West and Yorkshire Geotechnics team in our multi-disciplinary Sheffield office, assessing sites and designing solutions from desk studies, ground investigation and risk assessments to remediation design and verification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
We take professional development very seriously with frequent internal seminars and training, and also access to national and international training opportunities, supporting progress to chartered status.
Across Arup we work together to share technical resource to meet project demand and there will also be opportunity to work with other offices and on projects in the UK and overseas. The role will include site work mainly within the UK.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects through our Early Development Scholarship (after a qualifying period)
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
At Arup, we design and deliver ground breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
As a leader in geoenvironmental services, Arup is often asked to advise on difficult ground contamination, sensitive environments or ambitious projects. In response to the toughest geoenvironmental challenges, Arup provides robust and advanced solutions.
For more than 30 years Arup has been involved in the management of land and groundwater contamination and the successful development of contaminated land sites. Our geoenvironmental expertise underpins Arup’s engineering and design work on projects from building design to infrastructure for water, energy, mining, rail, highways, aviation, dams, reservoirs and underground spaces. Clients, contractors and insurers also turn to Arup for geoenvironmental expert advice when things do not go according to plan.
Arup supports its geoenvironmental specialists to innovate by investing in research and rigorous ongoing training and development. We continuously take on ambitious projects to stay at the forefront of our field. We have a strong UK and global network of geoenvironmental specialists which allows collaboration on research and projects.
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Geoenvironmental sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We are particularly interested in numerate candidates with an interest and aptitude in geochemistry, assessment of radiological contamination and GIS skills.
- Collection, assimilation and presentation of data
- Demonstrate attention to detail and be accurate in your work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An appreciation of how geoenvironmental skills relates to engineering and the design of buildings and infrastructure
- Ability to appreciate and understand the needs of your clients
- Applicants with an aptitude in data management, geochemistry, radiological contamination and GIS skills are of particular interest
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Enthusiasm for a career in geoenvironmental and engineering consultancy, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- Have an analytical thought process
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Bachelors degree in environmental science, geology or civil engineering
- Plus MSc or PhD relevant to land contamination management, hydrogeology, geochemistry or environmental geoscience
- Achieved results of 2:1/60% or higher in relevant modules
- A-levels (or equivalent) in maths, chemistry, physics or geology (B grade or higher)
Accepted degree subjects
geology and geographical science · environmental science and ecology · civil engineering and construction
How to apply
Assessment centres will commence in December 2017. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer tier two visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017