Right now we’re looking for ITS Engineers to join our team of bright professionals across several of our UK offices. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Typical responsibilities will include:
- Research and data gathering
- GIS or data management
- Design calculations
- Technical report writing
- Produce construction drawings
- Feasibility studies
- Site surveys
- Client and stakeholder engagement activity
- Planning and procurement of site investigation works
- Attend and participate in client meetings
- Supporting internal clients such as other sectors within Arup
- Promoting the work of Arup through conference papers and presentations
You will gain a thorough understanding of the role whilst working towards the goal of a professional qualification.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
At Arup, we design and deliver groundbreaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our smarter mobility experts use clear thinking and intelligent technology to make travelling a seamless and efficient experience. By considering entire journeys and thinking across modes of transport, we make transport systems around the world safer, more efficient and more sustainable to use and operate.
From the very beginning of each project, our specialists work with operators and planners to help define a vision for their transport operations and make sure this can become a reality. Focussed on improving mobility for users, we propose appropriate intelligent transport systems (ITS) as part of an integrated transport solution. Our technical advice, planning, design and management creates complete solutions for towns and cities as well as bespoke improvements to site-specific issues.
Our approach to ITS is driven by operational needs and user requirements. For example, we design traffic signal and car parking guidance systems to keep traffic moving in towns and in car parks. On the highways, our motorway control systems enable hard shoulder running and variable speed limits to increase capacity safely.
We create electronic payment solutions that protect revenue and make tolling, road pricing and smart public transport ticketing run smoothly.
We also find smarter ways to help public transport passengers and motorists choose the most efficient journeys by supplying the information they need – before they leave home and on the move.
For operators and authorities, we create enforcement solutions that keep transport systems safe and sustainable – including processes for dealing with parking violations and non-payment of tolls. We also design control centres to help different transport operators’ work together to create seamless journeys.
Our goal is to create environments where more people can enjoy integrated, seamless journeys. To achieve this, we work with governments and seek to influence policy and strategy on the smart application of intelligent transport systems.
We have been delivering intelligent transport systems for over 30 years on the global stage through either bespoke single-point solutions or through larger integrated transport projects. Our services are provided through the whole project lifecycle of:
- Concept and feasibility
- Planning and design
- Testing and commissioning
- Operation and maintenance, through to renewal
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the ITS sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following attributes and skills:
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understand the needs of your clients
- Strong numerical skills
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Enthusiasm for a career in Intelligent Transport Systems, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in electrical, electronic, telecommunications, transport planning or civil engineering (or other applicable degree) with a prediction or attainment of 2:1 or higher
Accepted degree subjects
London · Newcastle upon Tyne · Solihull
How to apply
Assessments may begin in November, so we would recommend that you apply early. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 17/04/2018