At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
We provide leading lighting design, engineering and consulting services throughout the world on major infrastructure schemes and internationally acclaimed buildings, in collaboration with leading architects, artists, engineers and planners.Arup's commitment to sustainability drives a creative approach with the application of state-of-the art technology. We work in harmony with aesthetics and vision, delivering lighting designs that help our clients save energy and create sustainable buildings.
From harnessing and controlling daylight to creating drama and delight with electric light, our lighting design work can be characterised as engaged and involved, with a strong emphasis on creativity combined with the technical excellence for which Arup is famous.
Are you interested in a career in lighting?
We're looking for Graduate Lighting Designers / Engineers to join our team of bright professionals to assist on all aspects of lighting projects, from concept development to detailed lighting specifications. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Working mainly with our senior designers, and supporting other team members, this is an excellent opportunity to learn about lighting design, develop skills and subsequently work on your own projects. Although you could be straight from university, ideally you may have gained experience in a lighting, architectural and/or engineering consultancy practice.
You will work alongside experts in architectural lighting and daylighting design on a wide range of national and international projects.
The role involves:
- Hands on lighting design for a range of projects
- Providing lighting calculations
- Preparation of renderings, drawings, and specification
- Assisting the production of project related correspondence and reports
- Project and team administration duties
- Co-ordinating work with designers and engineers of other disciplines.
- Attend design team meetings and present design outcome
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
What we are looking for
We're looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive, design flair and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the lighting design and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Familiarity with 3D modelling software is desirable
- Some knowledge of lighting software would be advantageous, including daylight analysis software
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
- Recognised degree or diploma in lighting, architecture, engineering, product design or interior design or another relevant subject
- A 2.1 or above in relevant modules such as architecture, art, design, maths, science, engineering and technology related subjects are advantageous
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
- Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
- Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019