Right now we’re looking for a Graduate Mechanical Engineer to join our team of bright professionals in Tunnel Ventilation. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
You will focus on mechanical design and analysis of tunnels and underground networks including; rapid transit systems, rail, automatic people movers, road tunnels, and cable tunnels. You will also have the opportunity to work on building services projects to gain experience in all aspects of mechanical services.
The person is expected to have a good understanding of aerodynamics and thermodynamics, numerical analysis and simulation, such as CFD. Experience of tunnel ventilation is not required. Experience of design projects would be beneficial. You may have the opportunity to be involved in other aspects of mechanical systems design for buildings, including ventilation systems, heating, piped services etc.
Typical responsibilities could include:
- Simulation and analysis of the aerodynamics of tunnel and other hydraulic networks
- Aerodynamic and hydraulic calculations
- 1D simulation of tunnel networks using the Subway Environment Simulation (SES) and IDA Tunnel software (training will be provided)
- Scope to develop in-house data processing tools for the analysis of simulation results
- Work on non-standard aero and hydraulic problems
- Tunnel ventilation system design
- General HVAC design
- Assisting with the production of drawings, reports and specifications
- Liaising with multi-disciplinary infrastructure teams
- Client and external team liaison
You will provide support to team members to deliver an effective and professional service to our clients. Due to the multi-disciplinary nature of our design teams, you will have the opportunity to work alongside experts in the following fields: Electrical Engineers, Environmental Services Engineers, Fire Engineers, Acousticians, Tunnelling and Geotechnical Engineers, and Project Managers.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and settling in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
- High quality training in a wide range of relevant areas
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our Mechanical Engineers apply their specialist skills to building and infrastructure projects across the globe. We offer our clients a broad spectrum of expertise and consulting services in, but not limited to, the following types of developments:
- Transport projects, including airports and rail stations
- Transport tunnels
- Large-scale industrial and manufacturing facilities
- Data centres
- Commercial and residential developments
- Universities, Colleges and Schools
- Hospitals and healthcare buildings
- Laboratories and research facilities
- Sports facilities and stadia
- Theatres and performance venues
- Museums and Art Galleries
As one of the world’s leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise.
- A Master’s degree in Aeronautical or Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical or Buildings Services Engineering, alternatively Physics or Applied Mathematics at 2.1 or above
- Studying, or have studied, a course accredited by the Engineering Council or other accrediting body
- Be a graduate member of an appropriate professional institution such as the IMechE or be prepared to join a relevant professional body
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Good understanding of aerodynamics and thermodynamics, numerical analysis and simulation, such as CFD
- Some experience with coding languages
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate attention to detail and be accurate in your work
- Understand the needs of your clients
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Enthusiasm for a career in building and infrastructure (station and tunnel) design, underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Have an analytical thought process
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Enjoy working as part of a close-knit team
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
Accepted degree subjects
physics · mathematics · aerospace engineering · mechanical engineering · civil engineering and construction
London · South East England · South West England
How to apply
The deadline for applications is 31st December 2017, with interviews taking place shortly after.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017