At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Arup's risk engineers provide risk and reliability analysis on some of the most exciting projects globally.
Our resilience, security and risk practice has consistently been at the forefront of the field since it was formed in the mid-1990s. The practice brings together threat specialists, physical and electronic security engineers, operational security specialists and blast engineers in a unique multi-disciplinary environment, helping our clients manage malicious risk, natural hazards and operational reliability in each aspect of their businesses and operations.
Our world-leading risk engineering team works in all industries including major hazard (oil and gas, nuclear power generation) and the commercial and public sectors (Crossrail, London Underground, London Overground). The team applies its knowledge to understand what can go wrong, identify where things are not working effectively, recommend a range of options to address the issues and assist in selecting and implementing the best solution to satisfy the client's needs. Using these skills we help our clients mitigate risks associated with major hazards, reduce downtime to keep critical systems like the London Underground running effectively and manage risks to their people and businesses associated with their operations.
Are you interested in a career in risk engineering?
We're looking for Graduate Risk Engineers to join our team in London. You'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You will be responsible for understanding the client's business, identifying the risks in a structured and consistent manner whilst working very closely with the client to mitigate and manage these risks via suitable and efficient controls. Arup risk engineers are involved throughout the whole life cycle from concept design to pre-commissioning and testing.
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
What we are looking for
We're looking for graduate risk engineers with curiosity, personal drive and technical know how.
As well as an exemplary standard of technical knowledge in safety and reliability, you will have excellent organisational skills and an understanding of multi-disciplinary design. You will be collaborative in your approach but able to work independently and will gain a thorough understanding of the role of a design engineer, structural and façade engineering design, first-principles design and risk-based design frameworks.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Excellent written, verbal and sketch communication skills
- Interest/experience in data analytics, numerical analysis, quantitative assessments
Desirable skills and knowledge
- MSc, PhD or other postgraduate qualification in Engineering Risk & Safety Management, Risk and Reliability Engineering, Process Safety or a related discipline
- Interest in further learning in a relevant area e.g. financial risk analysis, Enterprise Risk Management
- Interest/experience in safety, reliability analysis, systems engineering
- Use of analytical software tools e.g. Excel, VBA
- Interest in human behaviours and dynamics
- Site experience
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Engineering degree (Masters level engineering science, aerospace, mechanical, electrical, chemical, safety and reliability), on track to achieve a 2:1/60% or higher
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
- Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
- Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019