At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Building Engineering in London is made up of four groups, each working on a range of building projects across transport, science & industry, commercial, education and arts & culture sectors. The group has a digital buildings cluster focussing on smart buildings and advisory services for smart and data enablement for buildings, with a growing number of software development and Internet of Things (IoT) projects and products.
The team works closely with other teams across Arup and is the hub for multidisciplinary working, bringing together different specialists and advisory services to suit client and project needs. Our current projects include design smart buildings and integration for a new HQ for a bank, providing design and consulting across a large London property portfolio, providing embedded software expertise to large technology firms, smart enabling design on our projects and a number of IoT product design commissions.
As one of the world's leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise.
Are you interested in a career in Smart Buildings?
Right now, we're looking for a Graduate to join our team of bright professionals in our London Office. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.You will focus on supporting the smart buildings team members with your technical skills in key areas of smart buildings design such as data engineering, building controls design and integration, network design consulting, IoT consulting and software engineering. You will assist in preparing designs, documentation and specifications in coordination with the team, and gain a thorough understanding of the role of a Building design and IoT engineer by using relevant software and seeing first-hand how we operate.
We see the key personal and technical attributes are being highly proactive, having an ability to apply deep technical knowledge, with a willingness to extend yourself to learn in areas that require to deliver high quality outcomes for our clients.
The candidate is expected to have a good understanding of Internet of Things, communication networks and Building Controls technologies.
Experience of design projects, collaborative software development and data engineering would be beneficial.
Due to the multidisciplinary nature of our design teams, you will have the opportunity to work alongside experts in the following fields: Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Environmental Services Engineers, Acousticians, Lighting Designers, Architects, Software Developers, Data Scientists, Systems Architects and Project Managers.
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
What we are looking for
We're looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Strong working knowledge of office tools, including spreadsheets
- Understanding of building systems design, the Internet of Things and systems integration, with a strong interest in data science and analytics
- Knowledge and experience in the following specific technical areas would be an advantage to bring building systems and software development knowledge together:
- existing and emerging building controls languages and protocols
- IP and wireless networking and communication standards
- web services architecture
- coding and scripting languages such as Java and Python
- buildings domain ontology development (linked data concepts)
- semantic query systems and approaches
- Good understanding of numerical analysis and simulation
- Enthusiasm for a career in Smart Buildings, underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Analytical thought process
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
- Master's degree in electrical or electronic engineering, mechanical or buildings services engineering, alternatively computer science, software engineering, physics or applied mathematics at 2.1 or above
- Studying, or have studied, a course accredited by the Engineering Council or other accrediting body
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
- Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
- Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019