At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
We are a centre of excellence for digital in Arup. We combine advanced digital, engineering, technical, and project expertise to add new value for clients.
Arup's Advanced Digital Engineering group comprises over 300 advanced engineering, digital and project consultants, bringing together a seamless combination of digital and data-related capabilities with Arup's traditional engineering and design strengths. We use this to solve our clients most complex challenges and help them respond effectively to the fast-changing digital world. We combine advanced digital expertise in data, models, analytics, and user centred design, with world-class specialist engineering skills such as advanced dynamics, vibration and wind engineering, as well as digital advisory services, mobility consulting and digital product design and delivery.We support Arup's longstanding commitment to work on the most interesting and innovative projects by using the right modelling, data, technology and automation capabilities to redefine the built environment with our clients.
About the roles
Engineering Software Developer – London or Solihull
We have an exciting opportunity to grow our team of software developers. You will join our London or Solihull offices working in a wider team of around 20 developers to develop the market leading Oasys Suite of pre- and post-processing software for the LS-DYNA finite element analysis code (see www.oasys-software.com/dyna for more information). This software is used in the automotive, nuclear and civil engineering community. Its primary use is testing vehicle crash worthiness for the automotive industry and object impact worthiness within our seismic, geotechnics and building specialisms.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Our software team members take responsibility both for the development of larger tasks, which they take ownership of to see tasks through from beginning to end, and maintenance of existing features. They contribute to other related responsibilities such as quality assurance and day-to-day technical support. There are also opportunities for client contact through regular meetings, training courses and other events both in the UK and abroad.
Software Developer – London or Solihull
This is an exciting opportunity for you to work in a team which combines innovative digital solutions and processes with our domain expertise across the built environment. We provide digital advisory services that focus on working with clients on their digital strategy, design of new services, systems and assets, and helping deliver working solutions along with the development of new analysis tools and other cloud enabled digital services for clients.
You will be working with a team of developers, data scientists, user experience designers to create platforms, tools and data visualisations.
You will often collaborate with a variety of other practitioners on projects like building engineers, transport consultants, geotechnical engineers, and urban planners. Digital is a growing part of our business, and we are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about shaping the future of design in the built environment.
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
What we are looking for
We're looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the industry and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Experience of FEA software is advantageous (Engineering Software Developer only)
- Knowledge of C or Fortran is advantageous (Engineering Software Developer only)
- Experience of web application development is desirable (Software Developer only)
- Knowledge of Python is desirable (Software Developer only)
- Relational and/or non-relational database experience is desirable (Software Developer only)
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
- Bachelors or Master's degree in computer science, engineering science, general engineering, mechanical engineering, mathematics, or physics
- Degree result of 2.1 or above
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
- Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
- Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019