Right now we’re looking for a Graduate Sustainability Consultant to join our team of bright professionals in London, and North West and Yorkshire Region, based in any one of our three main local offices, Sheffield, Manchester or Leeds. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Graduates will be working in a multi-disciplinary office, preparing environmental assessments, energy modelling and sustainability statements in co-ordination with their team as well as external architects, surveyors, contractors and clients for projects across a wide range of markets.
They will gain a thorough understanding of various environmental assessment systems for buildings, using software design programmes and visiting sites to see the work undertaken while at the same time working towards the goal of becoming a Chartered Engineer.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
At Arup, we design and deliver groundbreaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Arup’s sustainability experts provide support to internal and external building design teams to enhance the environmental performance of our projects. We provide environmental assessment services which allow clients and external stakeholders to benchmark the environmental performance of their buildings and work with organisations to change their approach to embedding sustainability into their projects. Our experience encompasses new and existing buildings of all types in countries around the world. We use the UN Sustainable Development Goals as a framework to define how we can take action on our projects to affect change.
The sustainability team is embedded in an integrated building design team which delivers complete building services for projects of all types. Many clients want to find balance between commercial performance, usability, comfort and sustainability. Such balanced solutions demand coordination, requiring the team to communicate and collaborate frequently with clients, design teams and specialists within the building sector.
By thinking beyond standard solutions, we help clients achieve their sustainability aspirations – from internal targets to third party ratings such as LEED®, BREEAM and the WELL Building Standard.
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of the broad range of issues that encompass sustainability and the factors that impact it, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- A Master’s degree in Environmental, Architectural or Building Services Engineering (or similar), with a predicted/achieved grade of 2.1 or above
- At least one grade B or above at A-Level (or equivalent) in a Maths or other numerate subject
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate attention to detail and be accurate in your work
- Understand the needs of your clients
- Good understanding of the fundamental principles of sustainability and a well-read knowledge of global, national and regional issues that will allow you to communicate the need for environmental design with passion, conviction and reasoning.
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Enthusiasm for a career in sustainable building design underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Have an analytical thought process
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving and effective communication
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
Accepted degree subjects
architecture · civil engineering and construction · environmental science and ecology
Leeds · London · Manchester · Sheffield
How to apply
Vacancies are in one of the following offices - Leeds, Manchester or Sheffield - plus London. We would request that you are as flexible as possible in regards to where you are based. The deadline for applications is 14th November 2017, and assessments will take place soon after. Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Whilst we may be able to provide flexibility on start dates, we would request that the successful candidate attends this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017