Right now we’re looking for Graduate Transport Planners to join our team of bright professionals across several of our UK offices. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification, whilst maintaining control and drive of your own career.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Projects will be allocated to you on a regular basis for varying lengths of time, which provides a diverse working environment. Your day-to-day responsibilities will include the following:
- Preparing reports on technical analysis and findings
- Undertaking numerical analysis
- Using various computer software ranging from Microsoft Excel through to specific modelling packages
- Working on technical, research and strategy reports
- Planning your workload so that you can deliver on time or ahead of target
- Solving technical problems, and provide innovative solutions as your level of experience develops
- Undertaking site visits as required
- Ensuring compliance of Health & Safety regulations
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
At Arup, we design and deliver groundbreaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Effective transport planning is the platform from which integrated communities can be developed to support economic growth, enhance social interaction and deliver environmental benefits by providing sustainable and efficient transport systems.
Low carbon, smarter solutions and a focus on outcomes rather than outputs anchor Arup’s approach to transport planning, whether collaborating with clients on innovative projects or shaping debate on policy and planning.
We have established ourselves at the forefront of the debate on future transport and planning policy, with a reputation that is built up on excellence and innovation in our work. As a result, we offer a complete transport consultancy service worldwide, with our Transport Planners operating through a network of over 70 offices across the globe.
Our Transport Planning business provides a range of consultancy services including:
- Transport strategy and planning
- Business case appraisals
- Transport demand management and modelling
- Impact assessments
- Traffic engineering
- Development planning
Arup’s plans and studies have improved journeys in places around the world by identifying changes to help more people move with greater ease, using less energy. We use sophisticated modelling to consider all forms of transport – including walking and cycling, freight and the urban bus and metro links that connect with intercity and inter-regional transport.
In order to meet communities’ needs today and in the future, our planners work closely with specialists in masterplanning, sustainable infrastructure, interchange design, rail, highways and aviation to ensure that we achieve truly integrated transport systems. Arup recognises the need to take a wider view on the approach to transport planning and examine why we plan transport, who we plan for and how we do it. This approach is underpinned by the robust technical skills, knowledge and creativity that Arup is famous for.
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following attributes and skills:
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
- A strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, with experience of modelling software being an advantage
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Dedication to the delivery of projects and the development of the team and business as a whole
- A planned and organised approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Enthusiasm for a career in transport planning, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Initiative and a creative approach to problem solving
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative
- Flexibility to the needs of the business
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or other engineering, geography, planning, economics, mathematics or equivalent with a prediction of 2:1 or higher
- Transport planning-based Master's degree or other relevant topic with a prediction of Pass or above is advantageous
- Good A-Levels (or equivalent) in all subjects (B grade or higher. Maths, economics or numerate A-Level is advantageous).
- Strong results in relevant modules (2:1/60% or higher)
Accepted degree subjects
Bristol · Cardiff · Edinburgh · Glasgow · London · Manchester · Newcastle upon Tyne · Solihull
How to apply
Assessments will take place shortly after the closing date. Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 17/04/2018