We are looking for Graduate Tunnel Engineers to join our team of professionals in our London office. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification. You would work in our dedicated tunnelling team within the larger Major Civil Engineering Group (Civil Structures, Bridges and Tunnels).
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Arup is at the forefront of complex underground spaces – from subway systems that take cars off the street to underground strategies for moving people, freight and the vital power and water utilities needed to keep modern and developing societies functioning. Based on a strong core team of tunnel design engineers, we draw on the capabilities of a wide array of allied disciplines embracing all that is best in truly multidisciplinary design.
Our tunnel projects extend from inception to detailed design, operation to inspection and beyond. This total design approach, using committed engineers working closely together, has produced exciting and innovative answers to some of the world's largest and most complex tunnel projects.
We implement projects of real value to our clients, in our London office alone we have recently completed the detailed design of all bored tunnels for the Crossrail project, are carrying out independent technical checking contracts for all three Thames Tideway contracts and have been selected as the contractor’s designer for High Speed 2 Southern Tunnels. Our work is exemplified by recent NCE Tunnelling awards, including Tunnel Project of the Year 2015 & Tunnel Design Firm of the Year 2012.
We are looking for graduates with technical ability, curiosity and personal drive. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of the Tunnelling sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following attributes and skills:
- Strong technical / numerical skills (structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, etc.)
- Attention to detail
- Communication skills (verbal & written)
- Appreciation of other disciplines which influence tunnelling design (such as structures, highways or rail)
- Ability to appreciate and understand the needs of your clients
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Clarity of thought process, demonstrating ability to plan and organise yourself and others
- Enthusiasm for a career in Tunnel Engineering underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of the civil engineering sector
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Ability to work in a team
- Dedication to delivery of projects
- Flexibility to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
Desirable, but not required:
- Knowledge of a relevant numerical modelling software including Plaxis, FLAC, UDEC or similar
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Civil cngineering, tunnelling or mining Master’s degree with prediction or attainment of 2:1 or higher
Desirable, but not required:
- Postgraduate degree (MSc or equivalent) in soil mechanics, rock mechanics or tunnelling
- Work or placement experience in a sector related to tunnelling
- Ideally hold A Levels (or equivalent) in maths and physics (Grade C or higher)
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Assessments will take place in December 2017. Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: 14/11/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 14/11/2017