Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world: we are owned in trust for the benefit of our employees and their dependants; with no shareholders or external investors we determine our own business priorities and direction.
Arup’s Integrated City Planning / Placemaking Team delivers an integrated approach and sustainable solutions to the design of cities and complex urban environments. We are a team of landscape architects, urban designers, architects, planners and sustainability experts based throughout the UK working on a variety of local, national and international projects. We are differentiated from our competitors by our ability to combine skills to solve particularly complex or unusual problems and help our clients to create an integrated vision with a full commitment to develop successful and sustainable urban places.
As urban designers we work on a range of district, city and regional scale projects in the UK and overseas, moving between strategic and conceptual ideas to typology and streetscape detail. We work in small, design-led project teams in collaboration with multidisciplinary colleagues.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
We’re looking for graduates with passion for design, curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the architecture and urban design industry and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
You will play a design role and have the opportunity to contribute to the development of exciting urban projects in the UK and potentially overseas including new towns, sports legacy masterplans, university and innovation districts, and city regeneration strategies.
You will have:
- An architectural background with RIBA Part 2 or equivalent qualification and an urban design Masters or equivalent postgraduate qualification.
- Typically around 9-12 months’ professional experience working in a high-quality, design focused practice.
- A keen interest in large scale urban projects and be able to present your work in this context.
- Excellent drawing and presentation skills and the ability to explain a design idea and evolution of a concept.
- An awareness of the RIBA Work Stages and current UK Planning Policy.
- Good CAD skills (AutoCAD) including 3D modelling (Rhino)
- Outstanding graphic skills including hand drawings and diagrams, plans and images using in the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Good familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
- Additional skills in GIS, Grasshopper, advanced visualisation or sustainability qualifications are desirable, but not essential
Accepted degree subjects
architecture · planning and surveying
How to apply
The deadline for applications is 31st December 2017. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017