Graduates will be working in a multi-disciplinary office, preparing designs in co-ordination with their team as well as external architects, surveyors, contractors and clients for projects across a wide range of markets.
They will gain a thorough understanding of the role of a design engineer, experience the use of software design programmes and visit sites to see the work undertaken while at the same time working towards the goal of becoming a Chartered Engineer.
Communication both written and verbal is a key part of our work and graduates will be involved from an early stage in the preparation of reports and attendance at meetings with other members of the design and construction team.
- Perform traffic analysis simulations using industry standard software to determine the lift requirements
- Create lift drawings using cad software, lift schedules and presentations
- Attend meetings and co-ordinate with the design team
- Write reports and specifications
- Become familiar with relevant codes and legislations
- Liaise with manufacturers / keep up to date with product developments
- Attend site visits and carry out inspections
- Be involved in all design stages, from competitions and concept design to tender documentation through to completion on site
In return, we offer the following:
- The opportunity to work on some of the world’s greatest projects with technical challenges that will stretch and challenge your skills
- A competitive salary and a settling-in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Around the globe, Arup’s vertical transportation engineers bring specialist expertise to solutions for buildings and transport infrastructure.
Our comprehensive services include vertical transportation engineering design for both new and refurbished buildings; we are also involved in condition surveys of existing lifts and escalators.
Whether in commercial property, retail, sport, leisure, the arts or any market, we meet the creative and commercial demands of designers and developers.
Our specialists work seamlessly with structural and building services engineers to create complete building solutions.
Beyond standard areas of responsibility, Arup expects its vertical transportation engineers to become creative partners in the design process working closely with architects to ensure the movement of people and goods around buildings in an efficient and co-ordinated manner.
At Arup, we are leaders rather than followers in technical advances and sustainability. Through in-house research and development and a host of previous cutting edge projects, we ensure that clients get the benefit, rather than the risk, of innovation. We look not only at the capital cost of new installations but the space efficiency and energy costs to arrive at optimum solutions.
- Analytical and problem solving ability
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Ability to speak a European language would be beneficial
- Presentation skills
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams
- Understand the needs of clients and architects
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and an ability to learn new software
- Ability to draw by hand or in CAD would be beneficial
- Enthusiasm for a career in building design, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of electrical engineering
- Organised approach to planning work and meeting deadlines
- Demonstrate a creative and inquisitive approach to problem solving
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, the development of the team and business as a whole
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Masters degree in architecture, mechanical, electrical or buildings services engineering, or relevant MSc, eg physics or maths with a prediction of 2:1 or above
- A demonstrable interest in architecture and the built environment
Accepted degree subjects
mathematics · archaeology · chemical engineering · biology and life sciences · geology and geographical science · civil engineering and construction · environmental science and ecology
How to apply
We would advise that you apply at your earliest convenience to ensure your application is considered at an early stage in the recruitment process.
The Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017