Arup is a multi–disciplinary firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists, working across every aspect of today's built environment. Together we help our clients solve their most complex challenges – turning exciting ideas into tangible reality as we strive to find a better way and shape a better world.We provide leading lighting design, engineering and consulting services throughout the world on major infrastructure schemes and internationally acclaimed buildings, in collaboration with leading architects, artists, engineers and planners.
Arup's commitment to sustainability drives a creative approach with the application of state-of-the art technology. We work in harmony with aesthetics and vision, delivering lighting designs that help our clients save energy and create sustainable buildings.
From harnessing and controlling daylight to creating drama and delight with electric light, our lighting design work can be characterised as engaged and involved, with a strong emphasis on creativity combined with the technical excellence for which Arup is famous.
We're looking for Industrial trainee to join our team of bright professionals in our London office to assist on all aspects of lighting projects, from concept development to detailed lighting specifications, as well as assisting with the development of new digital tools. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have some responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.Working mainly with our senior designers, and supporting other team members, this is an excellent opportunity to learn about lighting design, develop skills and subsequently work on your own projects.You will work alongside experts in architectural and daylighting design on a wide range of national and international projects.
The role involves:
- Hands on lighting design for a range of projects
- Providing lighting calculations
- Preparation of renderings, drawings, and specification
- Assisting the production of project related correspondence and reports
- Project and team administration duties
- Co-ordinating work with designers and engineers of other disciplines.
- Attend design team meetings and present design outcome
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
What we are looking for
We're looking for students with curiosity, personal drive, design flair and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the lighting design and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you.
- Familiarity with 3D modelling software is desirable
- Some knowledge of lighting software would be advantageous, including daylight analysis software
- Skills in drawing/sketching and/or abilities in presentation tools such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are desirable
Digital skills would be advantageous, including data collection, analysis, interpretation and visualisation and/or some knowledge of programming languages such as Python and C#
- Recognised degree or diploma in lighting, architecture, engineering, product design or interior design or any other appropriate subject graduating in 2021 or 2022.
- An A level (or equivalent) in Maths is desirable but not a prerequisite
- A 2.1 or above in relevant modules such as architecture, art, design, maths, science, engineering and technology related subjects are advantageous
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019