We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world. As a wholly independent organisation, we are owned in trust for the benefit of our employees and their dependants, with no shareholders or external investors to determine our own business priorities and direction.
Our resilience, security and risk practice has consistently been at the forefront of the field since it was formed in the mid-1990s. The practice brings together threat specialists, physical and electronic security engineers, operational security specialists and blast engineers in a unique multi-disciplinary environment, helping our clients manage malicious risk, natural hazards and operational reliability in each aspect of their businesses and operations.
Our world-leading risk engineering team works in all industries including major hazard (oil and gas, nuclear power generation), the commercial and public sectors (Crossrail, London Underground, London Overground). The team applies its knowledge to understand what can go wrong, identify where things are not working effectively, recommend a range of options to address the issues and assist in selecting and implementing the best solution to satisfy the client's needs. Using these skills, we help our clients mitigate risks associated with major hazards, reduce downtime to keep critical systems like the London Underground running effectively and manage risks to their people and businesses associated with their operations.
Are you interested in a career in Risk?
As Summer Placement you'll work in a team to understand client's business, identifying the risks in a structured and consistent manner whilst working very closely with the client to mitigate and manage these risks via suitable and efficient controls. Arup risk engineers are involved throughout the whole life cycle from concept design to pre-commissioning and testing.
This role is for students studying a relevant degree who are looking to work with us for 6-8 weeks starting in June or July 2020
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
What we are looking for
- We're looking for people with a passion for design, curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) security consulting and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you.
- Excellent English written, verbal and sketch communication skills
- Interest/experience in data analytics, numerical analysis, quantitative assessments
- Interest in further learning in a relevant area e.g. financial risk analysis, Enterprise Risk Management
- Interest/experience in safety, reliability analysis, systems engineering
- Use of analytical software tools e.g. Excel, VBA
- Interest in human behaviours and dynamics
- Strong A Levels (or equivalent) (A*/A/B) including maths and physics
- Engineering degree (aerospace, mechanical, electrical, chemical, safety and reliability), on track to achieve a 2:1/60% or higher
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019