Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference to the world. Arup Digital combines innovative digital solutions and processes with our domain expertise across the built environment.
Advanced Digital Engineering
Arup's Advanced Digital Engineering group comprises over 300 advanced engineering, digital and project consultants, bringing together a seamless combination of digital and data-related capabilities with Arup's traditional engineering and design strengths. We use this to solve our clients most complex challenges and help them respond effectively to the fast-changing digital world. We combine advanced digital expertise in data, models, analytics, and user centred design, with world-class specialist engineering skills such as advanced dynamics, vibration and wind engineering, as well as digital advisory services, mobility consulting and digital product design and delivery.
We support Arup's longstanding commitment to work on the most interesting and innovative projects by using the right modelling, data, technology and automation capabilities to redefine the built environment with our clients. We provide digital advisory services that focus on working with clients on their digital strategy, design of new services, systems and assets, and helping deliver working solutions along with the development of new analysis tools and other cloud enabled digital services for clients.
Are you interested in a career in Rail Telecoms?
We're currently looking for Summer Placements to join our Rail Telecoms Systems teams for 6-8 weeks starting in June or July 2020.
You will have the opportunities to work on the design and specification of technology systems and services on transport sector projects. This role will be based within our Advanced Digital Engineering transport sub-team and will be primarily focussed on the rail sector, although there will be the opportunity to work in other sectors as the need arises.
This role will include the design and specification of the following types of systems along with technology appraisal, site surveys and overseeing the installation and bringing into service of systems.
- Railway Operational Telecom Systems (Operational Telephony, Copper, Fibre, FTN, FTNx, GSM-R & associated transmission systems)
- Station Information and Surveillance Systems (SISS) including CCTV, PA/VA, Customer Information systems, Passenger Help Points
- DOO (Driver Only Operation)
- SCADA systems
- Station Management Systems
- Control room technology
- Airport operational systems
- IT communications infrastructure including IT routes, rooms, risers, copper and fibre optic cabling
- Local area networks, wireless LANs, telephony, unified communications
- Radio and cellular distributed antenna systems
Current schemes include High Speed 2, Crossrail 2, Brent Cross Sidings, Meridian Water New Station, Luton Airport Mass Passenger Transit, Bedford Cauldwell Depot and Sydney Metro.
Ideally you will currently be in your penultimate year of study looking to enter graduate employment in September 2021, however, we will consider students/graduates at any stage of your education.
An enquiring mind is key to our approach, as we work across numerous diverse contexts. You will be able to assimilate such new contexts rapidly, and to use various design techniques to help make sense of them, for colleagues, clients and collaborators.
We're looking for students with the following qualifications, attributes and skills
- Working towards a degree in a relevant subject such as Railway Engineering, Railway Systems Engineering or Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Telecommunications, or Systems Engineering with a demonstrable interest in rail is required.
- Strong results in relevant modules (2:1 or higher).
- Accreditation from a relevant professional institution (IET or similar) is desirable.
- Qualifications in data networking such as Cisco or other network manufacturer accreditation is also desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong numerical skills
- CAD, BIM, Revit skills (desirable)
- Project Management Training (desirable)
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
What we are looking for
Accepted degree subjects
- transport engineering
- electronic and electrical engineering
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 November 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 November 2019