What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
As a Materials and Analytical Science Laboratory Technician Apprentice, you will spend the first few weeks of your apprenticeship within the Skills Academy; before joining the Materials and Analytical Sciences team based in our laboratories across the AWE Aldermaston site. The Materials and Analytical Sciences function are responsible for the research, testing and analysis of a number of different materials ranging from warhead components to environmental samples. This work is vital in assuring our mission to deliver the warhead is accomplished whilst keeping our people and environment safe.
During the time in placements you will undertake and complete various laboratory-based tasks which will enable you to develop a complete set of skills and knowledge required to work successfully at AWE.
During your apprenticeship journey, you will learn the following skills:
- Laboratory safety
- Handling of hazardous substances- awareness of radioactive and explosive materials
- Quality and its application in a laboratory environment
- Customer service skills
- Use of laboratory equipment
- Preparation of substances
- Sample preparation
- Analysis of samples
- Data handling
- Checking and reporting of results
In addition, you will also be given the opportunity for personal development through activities such as team building challenges, organisational awareness presentations, health and safety workshops and charity projects.
- Excellent team working skills
- Good communication skills
- Awareness of health and safety
- The ability to follow instructions
- The ability to concentrate for long periods
- A real passion for this type of work
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 31 August 2024 due to security clearance requirements
- 5 GCSE’s at grade 4/C or above to include Maths and English and BTEC Level 3 Science (or equivalent)
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
- A part of this role will require wearing Health and Safety equipment such as a respirator. Therefore, successful candidates will need to undergo a medical assessment for suitability for the position within the required parameters for the health and safety equipment’s requirements.
What we offer
- We offer our level 3 apprentices a starting salary of £20,000
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a nine-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
- Access to employee discounts – everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure.
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
All successful candidates will join us on 12 August 2024. It is important that you are available that week and the week commencing 19 August so you can meet the rest of the Apprentice cohort and take part in our induction programme. There is another compulsory training week from 11 September, so we'll ask you not to request annual leave that week either.
Additional job details
- Berkshire · Aldermaston.
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Would you like to learn more about our selection process? Watch our video to find out more.
The next wave of role closures will occur on 28 January or until the role is filled, apply now for the best chance of success.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28 January 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 28 January 2024