On completion, a Design and Construction Management Degree Apprentice will be able to use the knowledge, skills and behaviours developed to lead, manage, and coordinate activities within the design and/or construction environment for building and infrastructure projects. Acting as the pivotal link between designers (i.e. architects, engineers) construction teams and project stakeholders. They will have a fundamental understanding of both construction and architectural principles/ practices and will be able to demonstrate discipline skills commensurate with their employed job role. Typically, skills will include Design Development, specifications and information management, project management, value management, and maintenance of safety/regulatory standards. They will also demonstrate good communication and team skills and the ability to communicate in a variety of forms to all levels within an organization.
As a Design and Construction Management Degree Apprentice, you will learn design, technical and management skills, and how to apply scientific principles and practical knowledge in constructing buildings to meet building performance criteria. You will gain a sound understanding of advanced computer technology in 3D Computer Aided Design and visualisation. As well as knowledge in the production of design details, and of administering contracts and projects to fulfill client and current regulatory needs.
You will then undertake focused professional engineering placements involving industrial areas such as explosive processing buildings, infrastructure, utilities and nuclear installations. You will gain an appreciation of the additional challenges and safety requirements of providing engineering services in such an environment throughout the engineering lifecycle (Design, Construction, Commissioning, Operations).
Following completion of your placements and subject to the business need and your career aspirations, your final role placement will be selected, and you will complete your training as a professional engineer in this area.
This role may appeal to you if you enjoy:
- Building or making things
- Solving problems in different ways
- Interest in learning / improving practical applications
- Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 31 August 2024 due to security clearance requirements.
- HNC in related subject with merit grade or; Level 4 Apprenticeship in relevant subject or equivalent level 4 qualification; Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above)
- Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
- Reliability with a high level of respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters
- Ability to work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
- Ability to understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
- Good time management skills (i.e. planning and completing work to schedule)
- A supportive attitude to change and ability to respond positively to change management processes
- Ownership for personal development
- Open attitude towards receiving feedback
- Committed to health & safety (i.e. personal, workplace, radiological and nuclear)
- Effective at following rules, procedures and principles
- Enthusiasm for the nuclear industry
- PC literate
- Excellent team working skills
- Ability to concentrate for long periods
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
What we offer
- We offer our level 3 apprentices a starting salary of £20,000
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a nine-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
- Access to employee discounts – everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure.
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
All successful candidates will join us on 12 August 2024. It is important that you are available that week and the week commencing 19 August so you can meet the rest of the Apprentice cohort and take part in our induction programme. There is another compulsory training week from 11 September, so we'll ask you not to request annual leave that week either.
As a Design and Construction Management degree apprentice, you will complete the following:
- BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology
- Day release delivery of degree with rest of time on the job learning (flexible to employer requirements)
- Membership of the CIAT
- Inquiry-led constructive learning and technology-based assessment
- Nuclear behavioural culture, safety and security
- Employer focused contextual content
Additional job details
- Berkshire · Aldermaston.
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Would you like to learn more about our selection process? Watch our video to find out more.
The next wave of role closures will occur on 28 January or until the role is filled, apply now for the best chance of success.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28 January 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 28 January 2024