What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
This apprenticeship follows the Embedded electronic systems design and development engineer (degree) standard and leads to roles designing and developing electronic circuits, devices, and systems.
As an electronic apprentice you will spend your first two years of training in the skills academy producing several electronic projects whilst also attending college part time. These projects will help you to develop your skills and knowledge in basic electronic theory, components, basic circuit design, circuit construction and reporting.
In your final 18 – 24 months you will spend your time on several 6-month placements around the business where you will also work towards your final project.
Throughout your apprenticeship you will attend several lectures designed to increase your knowledge and understanding of further electronic theory, these include:
- Component recognition
- Component characteristics
- Circuit calculations
- Semi-conductor theory
- Fault finding techniques
- Testing and measuring
This role may appeal to you if you are you interested in:
- Arduino or Raspberry PI
- Understanding how all things electronic work
- Designing and building electronic circuits
- Use of electronic test equipment for fault finding, maintenance and repair of circuits & systems
- Analogue and Digital electronics
- A practical aptitude for engineering or technology
- Computer literacy (PC)
- Excellent team working skills
- Good communication skills
- Awareness of health and safety
- The ability to follow instructions
- A passion and motivation for this profession
- 3 A levels @ grade C or above inc. Maths or Science or BTEC diploma in Engineering.
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 31 August 2024 due to security clearance requirements.
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
What we offer
- We offer our level 3 apprentices a starting salary of £20,000
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a nine-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
- Access to employee discounts – everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure.
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
All successful candidates will join us on 12 August 2024. It is important that you are available that week and the week commencing 19 August so you can meet the rest of the Apprentice cohort and take part in our induction programme. There is another compulsory training week from 11 September, so we'll ask you not to request annual leave that week either.
Additional job details
- Berkshire · Aldermaston.
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Would you like to learn more about our selection process? Watch our video to find out more.
The next wave of role closures will occur on 28 January or until the role is filled, apply now for the best chance of success.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28 January 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 28 January 2024