What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
What if you could use your skills in engineering to work with remarkable people, in unique facilities, on extraordinary products? What if you could do this alongside over 100 other graduates in a sociable and welcoming environment?
Our two-year Evolve graduate development scheme offers you an exciting opportunity to do exactly this and to experience a variety of engineering roles where you will make a genuine contribution to keeping the UK safe and secure.
How will Evolve help accelerate your career?
As a member of our Graduate Development community, you will be involved in activities linked to our current or future nuclear warheads, nuclear threat reduction, manufacturing solutions or our huge building and infrastructure programme that is delivering the facilities to enable the creation of new products. You will develop a knowledge of precision components and systems which may cover some or all of: concept generation, design, manufacture and processing, assembly, safety and reliability, maintenance, testing & trials, commissioning.
Due to AWE’s critical role, further technical details of our work are classified. But rest assured, you will be doing remarkably interesting things as part of our expert engineering team!
Placements into real projects will be central to your development. The placement process is flexible to allow a specific focus in a particular technical area or a wide range of diverse project experiences - whichever you prefer. All graduates also receive a core programme of leadership, business and ‘soft skills’ training. You will be supported to start working towards your professional registration as a Chartered Engineer.
The Evolve scheme is based at our Aldermaston site in Berkshire which is served by public transport from both Reading and Basingstoke. You will start in autumn 2024.
What can AWE offer you?
- AWE has a highly inclusive culture. You will be supported by colleagues and management to bring your unique contribution to our work.
- You will undergo ‘DV’ security clearance to allow you to work on classified programmes.
- From Day 1 you will be collaborating with like-minded people on challenging problems, and you will encounter many professional and personal development opportunities
- Depending on your specific placements, you may have the opportunity to interact with UK and overseas partners and customers.
- There is a vibrant early careers community at AWE. You will have the opportunity to socialise with other graduates and undergraduate placement students through organised events, the on-site Recreation Society, and ad-hoc activities
- You can join any of our six staff-led Equity, Diversity and Inclusion working groups to help guide our supportive work culture
- We will track your progress with you, and develop a pathway to future career progression
- You will gain a strong feeling of satisfaction that you are making a real difference to yourself, to AWE and to the safety and security of the UK
What benefits will you receive?
- A competitive total reward package including salary element and fabulous benefits:
- The opportunity to learn from subject matter experts and to develop skills that are applicable across many industries
- A market leading contributory pension scheme. We will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution
- Every second Friday off. We do this by working a 41-hour week followed by a 33-hour week
- 270 hours annual leave a year (including bank holidays)
- Excellent work/life balance and a vibrant and welcoming grad social scene
- Salary sacrifice benefits
- A welcome payment
- An option of an interest free loan of £1,000 as well as regular Graduate pay reviews and a structured and supported career progression
- Access to discounts on a wide range of everyday spending across retail, hospitality and leisure
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
What we are looking for
- You are a recent graduate or will graduate this coming summer
- You will graduate with a Bachelors or Masters degree in any of these engineering subjects: aerospace/aeronautical, chemical/processing, civil, engineering design, electrical/electronics, general, integrated, manufacturing, mechanical, software, structural, systems; or in maths; or in physics
- You will be able to show by autumn 2024 that you have achieved at least a 2:2 classification in your degree
- You are a UK national who has not lived overseas within the last 10 years
- You must be able to join AWE in autumn 2024
- You must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas, if applicable.
- You must be UK national and to have been resident in the UK for the past 10 years.
What behaviors should you possess?
You are the sort of person who likes getting stuck into interesting problems. You are curious about what you see and eager to learn new things. You ask questions when you do not understand something and are resilient in the face of setbacks. You like working with others and you are dependable. You are comfortable working in a classified environment on defence projects.
You welcome the chance to develop a work style that embraces AWE’s cultural behaviours:
- We connect with respect
- We keep our promises
- We are safe and secure
- We embrace simplicity
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Reading · Aldermaston
How to apply
Would you like to learn more about our selection process? Watch our video to find out more!
The next wave of role closures will occur on 28 January or until the role is filled, apply now for the best chance of success.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28 January 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 28 January 2024