What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
We are offering a unique and exciting one-year placement as Manufacturing Engineer - a role where you will make a genuine contribution to keeping the UK safe and secure.
- Do you have a background in any of the following Engineering disciplines: manufacturing, mechanical, general, integrated
- Would you like to hone your engineering skills on the manufacture of truly unique products?
As an undergraduate manufacturing Engineer you will be part of a supportive team within the Production & Assets engineering subfunction. This team is involved in improving the productivity, safety & reliability, innovation and quality of nuclear Warheads manufactured within AWE, as well as significantly impacting the safety and security of the production personnel. As well as working on extraordinary products, you will gain knowledge of a wide range of engineering disciplines in the context of advanced manufacturing and safety-critical stakeholder requirements.
Due to AWE’s critical role, further technical details of this placement are classified. But rest assured, you will be doing remarkably interesting things as part of our expert manufacturing team!
This role will be based at our Aldermaston site in Berkshire which is served by public transport from both Reading and Basingstoke. It will start in August 2024 and last for 12 months.
What to expect on your placement
- AWE has a highly inclusive culture. You will be supported by colleagues and management to bring your unique contribution to our work.
- You will undergo ‘DV’ security clearance to allow you to work on classified programmes.
- From Day 1 you will be collaborating with like-minded people on challenging problems, and you will encounter many development opportunities within the role.
- You will develop a work plan at the start of your placement that will help you to track your progress, achieve your goals and meet our programme needs.
- Depending on the team you are assigned to, you may have the opportunity to interact with UK and overseas partners and customers.
- There is a vibrant early careers community at AWE and you will have the opportunity to socialise across the multi-disciplinary group of undergraduate placement students and new graduates.
- You can join any of our six staff-led Equity, Diversity and Inclusion working groups to help guide our supportive work culture
- You will learn about AWE and develop a pathway to re-join us once you graduate (if you wish!) on our Evolve graduate development scheme.
- At the end of the placement, you will leave with a strong understanding and experience of engineering within the manufacturing environment (that can be applied across many industries) and a feeling of satisfaction that you have made a real difference both to yourself and to AWE.
What you’ll get
- We offer all undergraduate students a salary of £20,500
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Excellent work/life balance
- 9-day working fortnight. This means you get every other Friday off work.
- Access to employee discounts portal – everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services.
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field.
Starting dates and process
Undergraduate Placement Induction will be on 5 August 2024, please avoid taking leave during this period if you are successful. This role is offered on a 12 month contract.
What we are looking for
You are the sort of person who likes getting stuck into interesting problems. You are curious about what you see and eager to learn new things. You ask questions when you do not understand something and are resilient in the face of setbacks. You like working with others and you are dependable. You are comfortable working in a classified environment on defence projects.
You welcome the chance to develop a work style that embraces AWE’s cultural behaviours:
- We connect with respect
- We keep our promises
- We are safe and secure
- We embrace simplicity
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Reading · Aldermaston.
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
The next wave of role closures will occur on 28 January or until the role is filled, apply now for the best chance of success.
Would you like to learn more about our selection process? Watch our video to find out more.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28 January 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 28 January 2024