What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
As a Manufacturing Engineering Apprentice, you will develop the knowledge and people skills to enable the design and manufacture of a wide range of products, materials and tools to support the successful delivery of our programme of work. Our operations include precision component manufacture, fabrication, explosive formulation, fissile material production, rubbers and plastics, and warhead assembly and disassembly.
The role of a Manufacturing Engineer within this area of our business is to realise product design, delivering and managing process and tooling designs / improvements. We work in a highly regulated environment so this will include the creation and configuration of manufacturing process documentation in accordance with appropriate procedures and legislation. This is to make sure that everyone operates safely, efficiently and in an environmentally sustainable way, meeting the requirements set out by AWE and those of the Professional Body Institutions.
You will develop a fundamental knowledge of engineering / science principles and practices. On completion of your apprenticeship you will be able to demonstrate discipline skills commensurate with your role that typically will include design, plant performance enhancements, operational management, project management and maintenance of safety standards utilising analytical thinking to provide innovative solutions.
As a Manufacturing Engineer apprentice, you will gain the following skills:
- A detailed knowledge of manufacturing techniques and processes which may include machining, presswork, inspection, moulding and metallurgy.
- Design to Manufacture (D2M) experience of tooling or equipment including requirements capture and presenting at design reviews.
- Knowledge of materials and their properties
- Knowledge of design of components, CAD tool design and manufacture
- Good knowledge of manufacturing systems and knowledge of MRP/ERP systems
- An understanding and application of UK Health and Safety Legislation in a Manufacturing or Production environment including quality standards, best practice and procedures
- Experience of applying Lean Manufacturing Techniques, Continuous Improvement, Quality Tools and Model Based Realisation
- An ability to produce or assist in the production of Manufacturing Documentation (designs, drawings, reports, specification and operating instructions)
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 12th August 2024, due to security clearance requirements
- A minimum 5 GCSE's at grade 4(C) or above, including Mathematics, English and a Science, Technology or Engineering related subject, as well as A Levels at grade 4(C) or above in both a Mathematical based subject and a Science, Technology, Engineering or additional Mathematics related subject, or 90+ credits in an Engineering BTEC at level 3.
- Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
- Reliability with a high level of respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters
- Ability to work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
- Ability to understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
- Good time management skills (i.e. planning and completing work to schedule)
- A supportive attitude to change and an ability to respond positively to change management processes
- Ownership for personal development
- Open attitude towards receiving feedback
- Committed to health & safety (i.e. personal, workplace, radiological and nuclear)
- Effective at following rules, procedures and principles
- To demonstrate your enthusiasm for the nuclear industry
- PC literate
- Excellent team working skills
- Ability to concentrate for long periods
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
What we offer
- We offer our level 3 apprentices a starting salary of £20,000
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a nine-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
- Access to employee discounts – everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure.
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
All successful candidates will join us on 12 August 2024. It is important that you are available that week and the week commencing 19 August so you can meet the rest of the Apprentice cohort and take part in our induction programme. There is another compulsory training week from 11 September, so we'll ask you not to request annual leave that week either.
Additional job details
- Berkshire · Aldermaston.
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Would you like to learn more about our selection process? Watch our video to find out more.
Our deadline line for applications is Sunday October 29th. The earlier you apply the better chance you have of success.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28 January 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 28 January 2024