What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
An Operations Apprentice role at AWE will give you your first steps to a career in a diverse and unique environment, involving Manufacturing, Science, and Engineering and other key areas of the business. This would suit candidates that are looking for a new career where a keen eye and Precision is a fundamental requirement
As an Operations Apprentice you will be key to providing manufacturing and assemble capabilities to the defence and security of the United Kingdom, you will deliver hands on production and process operations in highly regulated and safety conscious working environment.
- Completion of all components of the relevant Apprenticeship framework or standard at the required level
- Undertake Trade / professional training in placements at any of the AWE sites
- Completion of the AWE time served training element
- Completion of required college qualifications and training for AWE specific requirements
- Maintain and promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality and be a great team player
- Compliance with job specific training requirements.
- Responsible for operating safely and complying with all local relevant facility safety, operating and company procedures.
- Reporting any malfunctions, abnormal conditions or issues.
- Support and participate in continuous improvement activities.
- Carry out 6s activities in line with business area requirements.
- Adopt a ‘See It, Own It, Solve It’ mind-set, by identifying obstacles to success and taking ownership to find solutions to those problems.
- Complete practical and assessment tasks to specified standards, re-working where required including maintenance of own equipment and storage management as appropriate
- Attend college or other educational sites as required on a flexible attendance/timings basis to attain the apprenticeship framework
- Complete written assignments, key and apprenticeship documentation to time and quality required
- Flexibility to move between areas as required to complete rotational training in each area
- Undertake any other reasonable tasks or projects when requested
- The company may require you to fulfil any other reasonable duties aligned to your position from time to time in line with business needs
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement 270 hours a year (inclusive of Bank Holidays) plus every other Friday off
- We offer our apprentices a starting salary of £16,000.
- Week 1 (5 days)
- Week 2 (4 days)
- 7:40 – 16:35
- Week 1 (5 days), Week 2 (4 days)
- Early 06:00 - 14:45
- Late 14:15 - 23:00
This is on a two-week rotation, 2 weeks on the early and 2 weeks on late.
- 7:30-17:25 (Mon-Thurs)
- These roles are governed by Health and Safety at Work Regulations and require all candidates to have an Occupational Health pre-employment medical held at AWE which follows the initial selection process.
- All candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas.
- Five GCSE’s at grade 4/C or above to include Maths and English (Science desirable)
- Age: Applicants must be aged 16 or over, as of 31 August 2024 due to security clearance requirements
- These roles can be physically demanding, you will be required to pass a medical for general fitness and suitability to work with our unique materials, one key requirement is to have a BMI of under 35, this is a legal requirement for wearing respiratory protection
- The role requires flexibility to move around the business and between AWE sites, the main two being Tadley and Burghfield, to achieve this we have different working patterns that you may be required to switch between
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
All successful candidates will join us on 12 August 2024. It is important that you are available that week and the week commencing 19 August so you can meet the rest of the Apprentice cohort and take part in our induction programme. There is another compulsory training week from 11 September, so we'll ask you not to request annual leave that week either.
Additional job details
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Would you like to learn more about our selection process? Watch our video to find out more.
The next wave of role closures will occur on 28 January or until the role is filled, apply now for the best chance of success.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28 January 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 28 January 2024