What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
As a Project Controls Apprentice at AWE your role will include supporting the four key areas of business management- Cost Engineering, Planning, Estimating, Project Controls whilst rotating through various programmes around the business, you will gain an understanding of:
- Projects Structures - WBS, CBS, OBS
- Schedule Development - Schedule Quality, Cost and Duration estimating, interactive planning sessions
- Baseline Management - Creating and Maintaining Baselines
- Performance Measurement and Analysis
- Business Rhythm - Month End Reporting and Analysis
- Cost Forecasting
As an apprentice you will initially be based within the Skills Academy, where you will develop your basic knowledge and core skills, before progressing on to the onsite aspect of your training. At this point you will start to apply and further develop these core skills in a live working environment. In addition to the vocational aspects of your training, we will further your knowledge of project controls through academic studies as your work towards the completion of your certificate.
Project Controls may appeal to you if you enjoy:
- Problem solving activities
- Working as part of a team
- Analysing data
- Logical thinking
- 2 A Levels (preffered not mandatory)
- 5 GCSE’s at grade 4/C or above to include Maths and English
- PC literate
- Good communication skills
- Excellent team working skills
- Health and safety aware
- Effective at following instructions
- Ability to concentrate for long periods
- Passion for your chosen profession (see comparable skills/interests)
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 12th August 2024 due to security clearance requirements
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
If you currently hold a Level 3 Diploma in Engineering or similar, you should consider applying for a Degree level apprenticeship.
What we offer
- We offer our level 3 apprentices a starting salary of £16,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £20,500
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a nine-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
- Access to employee discounts – everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure.
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
All successful candidates will join us on 12 August 2024. It is important that you are available that week and the week commencing 19 August so you can meet the rest of the Apprentice cohort and take part in our induction programme. There is another compulsory training week from 11 September, so we'll ask you not to request annual leave that week either.
Additional job details
- Berkshire · Aldermaston.
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Would you like to learn more about our selection process? Watch our video to find out more.
The next wave of role closures will occur on 28 January or until the role is filled, apply now for the best chance of success.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28 January 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 28 January 2024